From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TDMS error -2511 Offset Too Large

I'm having the same problem as this thread http://forums.ni.com/t5/DIAdem/TDMS-error-2511-Offset-Too-Large/m-p/2960877.

How do you remove the last segment of the file if the file won't open in DIAdem?  Do you need to write something in LabVIEW?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,130 Views)

Hi faustina,

You can indeed manipulate TDMS files in LabVIEW using the TDMS API (linked below). Do you have access to LabVIEW?

However, if part of your TDMS file's header is missing, it's possible that the file could be damaged or corrupt. Were you able to try the workaround suggested by brandonj in that thread of editing the TDMS file in NotePad++?

TDM Streaming VIs and Functions: http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361N-01/glang/tdm_streaming_functions/

Tom D.
Staff Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,100 Views)

working on resolving via brandonj solution.  Need application, however, do not have priviledges to load on our computers.  Getting permission is taking a LONG time.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,024 Views)

Hi faustina,

It's possible that your .tdms_index file is corrupt, instead of the .tdms file itself. If it will take a while to get NotePad++ on your computer, one thing you can try in the meantime is to move the associated .tdms_index file to a different directory. Then, the next time you open your .tdms file, a new .tdms_index file will automatically be generated.

Just make sure you don't delete the original .tdms_index file such that you won't be able to recover it.

Tom D.
Staff Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,011 Views)

LabVIEW cannot open the file (TDMS Open File function) therefore no index file is created.  DIAdem does create a new index file.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,008 Views)

but it still cannot open the file

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,007 Views)

Hi faustina,

So, that means the problem is most likely with the .tdms file, and not the .tdms_index file.

You mentioned that you are seeking download permissions for Notepad++. Are you constained from downloading all software on your computer? There are also some hex editors available which could potentially be of use.

Alternatively, is there any way you can move the corrupted .tdms file onto another computer where you have permissions to download any editing software, or is the file totally confidential?

The white paper I have included a link to below will be of use if we can get to a point where you are at least able to view the contents of the file.

TDMS File Format Internal Structure: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/5696/en/

Tom D.
Staff Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,993 Views)

due to new security policies, only certain individuals are allowed to load new software on any of our computers.  It's really frustrating.  I've concidered downloading the appropriate software to my home computers, but I can't remove the data file in question from work.

So I'm in a holding pattern until someone above me want's this done ASAP.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,981 Views)