Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non default used on typedefined constants

Hello

One of the comment on my CLD evaluation report was "Non default used on typedefined constants". I cant really remember what I might have done wrong. What does that mean? Also another comment was "Control terminals on connector pane not on top level block diagram". Does this mean we should be assigning terminals on the connector pane for the controls in the main vi as well?  Comments will be appreciated

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(8,502 Views)

Control terminals on the connector pane should be on the top level block diagram, meaning outside of any case or loop structures.

The first one is probably so obvious that I don't know what it means Smiley Very Happy

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
(8,499 Views)

Did you drop a constant of on of your typedefs on your block diagram and modify it's settings from the default value? The reason this would be an issue is that if you modify the typedef the constant will be changed and it will be the default values. This can easily result in a bug in your application.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 3 of 21
(8,487 Views)

I know this question is two years old, but I was wondering...

How would you handle a typedef'd cluster that looked better, in one orientation on the FP but in the other on the BD?  For instance, a cluster of references that looked better sized horizontally on the FP, but was more compact vertically on the BD?

That's one reason I want to do something like modify the orientation on the constant - but I also know that every time you update the typedef, it will revert to the typedef orientation.  Would you choose to go with the FP orientation so it looks good on the FP, sacrificing compactness on the BD, or would you go with the space-saving BD orientation and have the potential for the FP control to grow downwards and run all over your FP?  Or is there another solution where I can have the advantages of both?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm studying like crazy for my CLD and this is a very important point for me.

Thanks!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21
(8,157 Views)

@billko wrote:
[...] Would you choose to go with the FP orientation so it looks good on the FP, sacrificing compactness on the BD [...]

Yes, that is definitely my preference. In addition, viewing BD constants as icon is an excellent option to not mess up the BD with large cluster constants.

You understand, that this is my preference.  However, when considering a cluster of references - like you did - I would even care less.  Why should I be interested in viewing the values at run-time when debugging the VI?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(8,143 Views)

I know that this thread is old but I had these 2 comments on my CLD exam comments sheet and also didn't understand them! It would be nice for some amplication as to what the examiners mean.

I had "Non default used on typedefined cluster constants". As i took the exam a year ago I can't remember the instance that i used cluster constants but think that the following code snippet could be a likely no-no but would appreciate some feedback as I used this approach often when planning my CLD practice code:

Non-default typedefined cluster constant.png

To queue the next state transition I modify the constant to the the required state and bundle in the variant data which saves time and block diagram space in not having to bundle both items - is this okay?

I have played with modifying the cluster type def and it doesn't change the constant that i placed in the code snippet.

Helen

CLD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(8,056 Views)

@HelenC wrote:

I know that this thread is old but I had these 2 comments on my CLD exam comments sheet and also didn't understand them! It would be nice for some amplication as to what the examiners mean.

I had "Non default used on typedefined cluster constants". As i took the exam a year ago I can't remember the instance that i used cluster constants but think that the following code snippet could be a likely no-no but would appreciate some feedback as I used this approach often when planning my CLD practice code:

To queue the next state transition I modify the constant to the the required state and bundle in the variant data which saves time and block diagram space in not having to bundle both items - is this okay?

I have played with modifying the cluster type def and it doesn't change the constant that i placed in the code snippet.

Helen

I admit, I do this all the time.  Only change what you have to in the cluster just makes sense to me.  I want to say there is a situation where if you change the definition of your type def then all of your constants will go back to their default.  I wasn't able to make it happen just now.  Will need to play more to see if I can get it to happen.  Maybe it was only with Strict Type Defs...

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(8,051 Views)

@HelenC wrote:

Helen

I'm with Tim on this.  Not a point I would mind losing.

That being said,  Comment those not default cluster constants!  When some text-coding JAVA weinee comes around and changes your enum type def that comment will save you a few handfuls of hair.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(8,045 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@HelenC wrote:

Helen

I admit, I do this all the time.  Only change what you have to in the cluster just makes sense to me.  I want to say there is a situation where if you change the definition of your type def then all of your constants will go back to their default.  I wasn't able to make it happen just now.  Will need to play more to see if I can get it to happen.  Maybe it was only with Strict Type Defs...

It might be if you add items in a place other than the end.  I know that will hose everything up.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 9 of 21
(8,035 Views)

billko wrote:

It might be if you add items in a place other than the end.  I know that will hose everything up.

Yep.  That was it.  I added to a type def cluster and set the new item to be first and it set all of the constants to default.

EDIT:  It is actually just reordering the cluster that causes the constant values to be reset.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 10 of 21
(8,026 Views)