Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLA exam preparation

We have recently released new preparation material for the Certified LabVIEW Architect Exam. This material can be found at www.ni.com/claprep. Our updated prep material includes 2 new sample exams, a revised preparation guide, and a preparation webcast.

Sample Exams

The sample exams are tightly aligned with actual exams in their format and complexity. The sample exam solutions provided for each exam are one possible solution method. A recommended use of the exams is to set aside four hours and to take the sample exam as if it were a real exam. 

Preparation Guide

The preparation guide explains exam deliverables and how the exams are evaluated. 

Webcast

In the webcast, we describe the exam goals and deliverables, details on how the exam is evaluated, some tips, and the logistics for signing up to take the exam. 

Mark Ramsdale
Program Manager & CLA
Global Demo and Equipment at National Instruments
Message 1 of 10
(11,551 Views)

I download the example and open the 2010 solution. ( I haven't got 2013 so unable to look at this version)

Unfortunately the top level has a broken arrow, and when I look at some of the errors, there are VIs and variant function VIs floating around not connected.

If this is a solution, shouldn't it at least be able to run the VI?

regards

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(11,287 Views)

RayFarmer wrote:

If this is a solution, shouldn't it at least be able to run the VI?

Not really.  The point of the CLA is to set up the architecture.  Unlike the CLD, it doesn't have to be able to run.  You just need to put the pieces in an organized fashion and leave instructions for somebody else to do the actual coding.

For example, you need to setup the state machine but leave the actual cases for a CLD or CLAD level person to do.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 3 of 10
(11,277 Views)

I wish I had someone give me that much code each time I did a project.

Regards
Ray Farmer
Message 4 of 10
(11,268 Views)

Hi

I am studing to do the CLA exam.

Could someone give some advice or what strategy used to get the CLA?

I saw the "CLA Preparation Presentation" and I did the ATM simulation. The solution of ATM is not clear for me.... is really necessary to create libraries for subVIs?

http://www.ni.com/webcast/3376/en/

http://www.ni.com/gate/gb/GB_INFOCLAEXMPRP/US

Thank you

Anderson M. Takemoto
Instituto de Pesquisas Eldorado

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(10,422 Views)

Remember what the point of the CLA is: you can set up an architecture that you can then delegate parts to developers and just have them run with it.  Just concentrate on the architecture.  If you feel like you should create libraries for the different parts (probably not a bad idea) then do it.  But the best advice I can give you is do NOT try to write the actual program.  You will never finish if you do.  As Fabiiola likes to say: in a CLD if the program runs you will likely pass, with a CLA if the program runs you will likely fail.  Just create the framework and document document document.  Document what the developer should do.  Document how the communications work.  Document concerns with a certain setup.  Document the requirements (well, you have to for those points).

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 6 of 10
(10,408 Views)

Thank you for advice!

Attached my project of ATM simulation.

Could someone can check my project and tell me if I build a good architecture? 

Thank you

Anderson M. Takemoto
Instituto de Pesquisas Eldorado

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(10,393 Views)

You should really start a new thread for that.  You are getting off of the original topic (the preparation materials for the CLA).

GCentral
Message 8 of 10
(10,389 Views)

Hello,

I am planning to take the CLA exam in a few months from now and I have been wondering if there is any "guide" on how much time should be generally spent for the preparation for this exam. I know it is a hard question to answer and it is different for each person. In my case, I have been a CLD for 4 years now and I have a 3-year professional experience (got my CLD before I started working). Probably examples from your own experience might be helpful. 

The "Managing Software Engineering in LabVIEW" and "Advanced Architectures in LabVIEW" take about 5 days (combined) and then probably another 5 days to do the sample exams, review the solutions and give them another try? Does this sound reasonable? 

Thank you in advance for your answer.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,414 Views)

Hi giorgosvage,

I would practice the practice exams until you can get your time to ~3.5 hours, giving yourself extra time to understand the requirements on test day. For me this took 3 tries. I think I spent 3 consecutive Saturday mornings, where I really set aside the time and turned off my phone and any distractions. It is a bit of an investment, but you should pass with ease if you can do this.

Message 10 of 10
(5,407 Views)