BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Visual Source Safe"

Hi all,

I'm searching for some "version control software" like VSS, CVS, Subversion, etc to keep track of developments within a group of a few developpers within my company. I don't know much about this kind of software and I'd like something (if possible) free and "plug-and-play" Smiley Very Happy... Thanks in advance for all your replies and suggestions... Regards. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(7,932 Views)

Start here...

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

Message 2 of 5
(7,924 Views)

Take a deep breath and ditch Visual Source Safe, the product is not sold anymore or under development.

My advise would be to use a Distributed Version Control Software (DVCS) package, I know three examples of those:

1. Mercurial
  2. Git
  3. Bazaar

(in my favourite order).

The advantage of such system over a VCS is that you don't need to be connected to the server to perform Version Control actions.

Take the time to understand the differences good reading material is available on Stackoverflow (a site on programmer questions), for instance the following question, or search  term.

There are several free and quite easy to maintain solutions, personally I use Mercurial on an old linux (ubuntu) system.

However if you are administrating such a system be prepared to spent every few weeks a day to back-up.

If I would use such a system at work I would 'outsource' the maintenance tasks to our IT department since they have a much deeper knowledge of backups.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
Message 3 of 5
(7,920 Views)

Most are using SVN (Subversion), it's easy with TurtoiseSVN. The big newcomer is mercurial (it's on my todo list for the summer holidays), made easy and fun with TurtoiseHq.

Felix

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(7,816 Views)

You can also use Push Ok SVN SCC Plugin to integrate SVN directly into LabVIEW. You will see it in LabVIEW as a source control provider.

It's not free but it will make live easyer.

Waldemar

Using 7.1.1, 8.5.1, 8.6.1, 2009 on XP and RT
Don't forget to give Kudos to good answers and/or questions
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(7,806 Views)