BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple LabVIEW Puzzle Challenge

altenbach wrote:

I timed my version on an ancient Athlon XP 3200 that I had sitting around in the lab and it did it in about 275ms. Haven't tried on my core 2 Duo, but should be faster, even though the code is not optimized to use more than one core....

A similar version that also outputs all the factors takes about 315ms on the same rig, not a big penalty to carry along all that info. 🙂 (Similar times for all Ramanujan(2) with all factors). Improvements are still possible.

Message Edited by altenbach on 09-30-2008 06:19 PM
Message Edited by altenbach on 09-30-2008 06:22 PM
Message 51 of 192
(5,785 Views)

altenbach,

I'm still playing with the solution.  331ms is a pretty good time I can't wait to see how the dual core code would look.  Very nice solution.  -SS

Message 52 of 192
(5,778 Views)

OK, I cleaned up my solution a little bit, here it is (LabVIEW 8.5). I wonder in anyone has any significant improvements (e.g. factors of two or better :D).

Also note that the code is linear and thus not optimized for multiple cores. It's probably not worth doing.

(Warning for users below LabVIEW 8.5: It will be difficult to recreate the code from the image, because the representation of all the blue wires are important (U16, I32, U32, U64) , yet they are not well documented :)).

Message Edited by altenbach on 10-01-2008 02:13 PM
Download All
Message 53 of 192
(5,733 Views)

Wow 170ms +/- 1ms on my machine

Windows XP Professional
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU
6600 @ 2.4GHz
2.4GHz, 3.25 GB of RAM

Very Very Nice <Insert Borat Accent>  Smiley Very Happy-SS

Message Edited by ShotSimon on 10-01-2008 04:19 PM

0 Kudos
Message 54 of 192
(5,729 Views)

LabVIEW Puzzle #8 was sent to me by a friend.  In keeping with the true nature of breakpoint doesn't require LabVIEW.  But if you really really want too I'll understandSmiley Happy

I'm going to hold off on providing the source to make it harder for people to figure out (and honestly I don't know where it originated from yet).

There is only one clue and it is the following:  One Word.

If you solve it do not post the solution!  Simply send a link that represents the word:)  We will know you figured it out.  "We" being anyone who successfully solves it that isSmiley Very Happy

-SS

Message Edited by ShotSimon on 10-01-2008 04:45 PM

0 Kudos
Message 55 of 192
(5,722 Views)

Altenbach,

Did I miss your knighting celebration? 10K...they should start paying you for your timeSmiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 56 of 192
(5,693 Views)

you gotta give us more infos now Simon. I gave it some thought during my long commutes but I'm not even sure I understand how the LabVIEW code you talked about fits with with the music yet :S

Cheers. 

0 Kudos
Message 57 of 192
(5,657 Views)

OlivierL,

You could use the LabSYTH.vi to play around...note this uses the beep on your computer and may not be muted.

Here is your next hint:  Incase you can't read music  C C G G A A F F (Note with Labsynth use the C on the left)

Have a fun weekend!

Smiley Tongue-SS

0 Kudos
Message 58 of 192
(5,644 Views)

This is a hint from my daughter's new favorite song.  I'm hoping someone can put things together nowSmiley Very Happy 

And if my plan works...you should be singing this song in your head the rest of the day!  -SS

Message Edited by ShotSimon on 10-07-2008 08:55 AM

0 Kudos
Message 59 of 192
(5,597 Views)
Final Clue:  The song is the ABC's and the words that are numbers are important!Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 60 of 192
(5,564 Views)