From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notes from the trenches.

So I was doing some simple code maintenance and suddenly running the toplevel VI locked up LabVIEW seemingly forever as soon as I pressed the run button. Hmmm....

What actually happened:

(As part of the analysis, the program does a second order polynomial 2D fit (least absolute residual) of a huge 2d Array first decimated 25x)

Moving some control terminals around, I must have reconnected them wrong, swapping the "order" and "decimation" inputs. Now it suddenly tried to do a 25th order 2D fit of a huge array now decimated only 2x 😄 This problem was many, (many!!!), orders of magnitude harder, of course. (351 coefficients (instead of five) on an much, much larger array!)

Since the code was trapped inside a dll of a system VI "(general linear fit), there was no way to abort it and I had to kill it from the task manager. (Running 64bit LabVIEW, I should have waited a few more minutes and it actually completed fine after a long time when I did so.)

Duh!!! Swap some wires back and everything's fine again! 😄 Whew!

Message 1 of 2
(1,460 Views)

Locking up a computer is funny when you are writing your first ever loops. In the trenches though it loses the novelty quickly. Glad you seem to have found the issue quickly.

Message 2 of 2
(1,228 Views)