BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lets say you wanna work from your best coffee spot and your instrument is not attached to your laptop - No remote allowed, how do you make programming ?

To be more open, I mean If you wanna make programming via your laptop but you may not be able to run some of the sub VI to test the actual instrument. How do you create appropriate VI's that acts as temporary VI's for your instrument?

Smiley LOL

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(8,595 Views)

Diagram Disable structures? :dunno

Make a bunch of little SubVIs that do one thing for the instruments and test thehell out of them, make sure they work... then take the time when you're offline to buidl the logic and architecture for the program. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(8,594 Views)

This may be more advanced than you're looking for (I have no idea your LabVIEW skill), but this is a good way to do it.

http://vishots.com/hardware-emulation-using-labview-classes/

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 3 of 9
(8,589 Views)

@elset191 wrote:

This may be more advanced than you're looking for (I have no idea your LabVIEW skill), but this is a good way to do it.

http://vishots.com/hardware-emulation-using-labview-classes/

This was exactly what I would have suggested.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(8,577 Views)

In the past I've recorded waveforms on actual hardware when I had access to it, then created a simulation mode for my software that when activated will load the recorded waveforms from disk rather than from the actual hardware. 

I've also created a soft simulator with switches and knobs and even a rudimentary function generator to simulate simple waveforms.  My code would just have Boolean that I would switch when I wanted to run in Simulation Mode. 

Adding a Simulation Mode can be a lot of work on code that has already been written.  But it can be very, very useful in the long run.  When creating new projects, always consider creating a simulation mode. 

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
Message 5 of 9
(8,532 Views)

Just remember to have a foolproof way to know when you are in simulation vs. "the real thing". The US Airforce allegedly came close to starting WWIII when someone ran a simulation tape and others didn't know it was a simulation, thought that missiles were on the way!

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(8,504 Views)

haha. Great. 

Which laptop are you guys using, can you specify the properties? I see most of LV users prefer Win. I am in the market for a laptop. Would you recommend thinkpads?

Thanks

Kurabiye

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(8,474 Views)

I got a recent upgrade to a new Dell 7720.  i7 2.3G, 8G RAM, Dual Video with the i7's built in Intel video and a discreet nVidia 650M GT and a 32G MSATA drive to speed up booting and prefetching.  

...oh, and a Subwoofer.  Smiley Surprised   ....you know, 'cause you need that Brony Dubstep crankin' while you're coding LabVIEW. 

One thing I don't like about this laptop is the Western Digital Scorpion Blue drive.  This laptop is only a few months old and it's had the hard drive replaced already. (Under warranty)   Other than that, this thing really rocks.  I typically use the latptop and two external 22" monitors to make for a three monitor setup. 

In the past I used to have a dual or triple boot setup to allow me to boot different versions of Windows and Linux.  But now I'm just running Win7 and using VirtualBox to run virtual machines. 

I've used a lot of Dell machines over the past 10 years and for the most part they've always been solid performers and the warranties have always been honored when there has been a problem.  ( I just call now and tell them to send me the "hero kit" and I swap the parts myself ) 

That said, ThinkPads have always been exellent laptops in my opinion.  I haven't owned one since they were bought by Lenovo, but they still look and feel like solid machines. 

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(8,457 Views)

Am I allowed to move to instrument to the place I want to work?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(8,388 Views)