Biomedical User Group Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SpO2 programming

Hi all,

I am new to Biomedical field. I am doing pulse oximeter project right now. For that I have pulse oximeter module.Output of my project is to show the oxygen saturation rate in labview. To read signals from Pulse oximeter , I am using arduino uno board and using it in labview with Linx firmware. What is my major doubt is, module has only one photodetector so that i am getting only one waveform. 

But to find oxygen saturation, I need two inputs as articles and papers regarding pulse oximeter says. Is there any way to get two signals separately from the photo detector. Since I am using a module, I cannot get it out as of now. Is there any way?

Best Regards,
Dhans 😉
Kudos are welcome 😉
Aspirant Labview Programmer (Labview 14) 😉
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(13,040 Views)

Hey Dhans,

I`m doing a similar project for BT. I`m using Nellcor Covidien pulse oximetry sensor which has 2 antiparallelly connected diodes RED and IR LEDs and photodetector on the opposite side, and the hardest part is to control switching on and off periods for diodes. Controlling of LEDs needed because photodetector cannot distinguish the type of shine it just detects an amount of light and converts it into voltage. Image result for nellcor ds100aSo if you will control LEDs timing you'll be able to get a signal and using this curve (or difference) in voltage you can calculate the ratio of LED voltages.

Image result for spo2 calculation formula

There on pictures signals are separated but you`ll have one but with proper timing it`s actually two signals.

Image result for spo2 calculation formula

After finding that ratio by calibration formula calculate SpO2.

SpO2 = 110 – 25 × R. (It is basic empirical formula).

To get proper control of LEDs there are different ways. The way I`m trying to use is using the so-called "full H-Bridge connection". For that purpose, I get Arduino Motor Shield. 

There are guy on forum using LIFA approach not LINX : probably you have seen it . 

Hope it helped even a bit. I`m stuck on that stage. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(12,766 Views)

hi,

i'm doing similar project too. so i want to ask you, can i get the link on website for  the schematics 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(12,038 Views)

What schematic are you asking?

Best Regards,
Dhans 😉
Kudos are welcome 😉
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(12,035 Views)

this one

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(12,030 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(12,029 Views)

Hi  JY050221,

This is a common schematic of Nellcor SPO2 sensor and I had found it on a forum, not this forum but some other. So, What's your requirement? Do you need a weblink?

Best Regards,
Dhans 😉
Kudos are welcome 😉
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(12,025 Views)

yes, i need that weblink

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(12,016 Views)

Hi  JY050221,

I have found a link: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/pulse-oximeter-using-arduino-uno-raspberry-pi-and-xpr...

Best Regards,
Dhans 😉
Kudos are welcome 😉
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(12,012 Views)