Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Writing/reading erroneous (mismatching parity, CRC) LIN bus frames

Hi all!

I am developing a test for LIN bus communication module using NI 9860, and one of test specification is valid reaction on erroneous frames. Therefore, I am in need to be able to mock up tampered frames, that have e.g. only parity bit mismatch in ID field.  

Unfortunately, I have not identified a way to send such a frame. Is there a way to get low level access to LIN bus hardware driver to bypass automatic ID field parity and CRC generation? So far I have used NI-XNET, but I am opened for any other suggestions.

Best regards, and thanks for your time,

Mike 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,601 Views)

Unfortunately we do not currently offer any frame fault insertion capabilities with NI-XNET or NI-CAN.

NI does have products that could generate a faulty frame but they aren't LIN devices per se and would require additional development efforts. FPGA in combination with GPIO might do the trick. 

Hopefully other members of our community have run into similar requirements and they can share how they met them.

Jeff L
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,571 Views)

Thanks a lot.

Is there any NI hardware complying with  ISO 9141 hardware, that I could use directly by VISA? I'd strongly prefer a c-module 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,566 Views)

Currently we use cDAQ-9133 controller. However, I see that cDAQ-9135 has a CAN/LIN output as default from controller itself. Is it possible to perform fault frame insertion with this port? If so, what underlying driver does it use? Is it still an NI-XNET?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,563 Views)

We do not offer any CAN or LIN hardware that is directly controlled by VISA. All of said hardware is controlled by either our NI-XNET or NI-CAN driver. The integrated XNET port on the cDAQ-913x devices is functionally identical to a 986x module in a cDAQ chassis.

We do offer the Automotive Diagnostic Command Set or ADCS for short. It is a LabVIEW toolkit that makes it easier to do diagnostics with our underlying XNET hardware. Since it is built on top of the XNET driver it will also have the same limitations with regard to fault injection.

Jeff L
National Instruments
Message 5 of 10
(4,555 Views)

If you're looking to do fault insertion, you probably want to be looking at Vector.  They provide a DLL to control the hardware directly without the expensive software license and an ActiveX interface to control CANoe.  I can't promise this functionality is available from either API.

Message 6 of 10
(4,552 Views)

So could you confirm, that NI does not provide off-shelf solution for faulty frame insertion for LIN (or CAN, as I also want to do the same for CAN)?

If not off-shelf - cold you suggest some other hardware to be able to achieve my goals?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,545 Views)

Thanks a lot!

In case of such software, what is the hardware part one is supposed to use?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,544 Views)

Any of Vector's hardware with LIN support, to the best of my knowledge. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,531 Views)

Thanks guys for great help!

I'll continue from that

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,519 Views)