From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI XNET C API - Unable to get Slot Number

I am currently using the NI 9862 CAN Module in the NI 9189 Chassis. 

Attached is a C script that attempts to first get the device handles of a CAN system. Then use the first device handle to retrieve the Slot Number of the device. 

Then this error pops up:

(Hex 0xBFF6323B) The feature you have attempted to use is not supported. Solution: Use an alternate feature that is supported.

I have tried testing other Device properties such as nxPropDev_FormFac & nxPropDev_NumPorts. These return the correct properties. 

Why is this property the only one that is not supported? 

According to the NI Package Manager, I have the 19.6.0 NI XNET Driver installed.

Any help would be kindly received.  

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,457 Views)

Hello!

Could you solve your problem? I'm trying to get Slot Number for NI-9862 located in a cDAQ-9188 via XNET C API and get same error messages. I use actual version of ni-xnet (v20.5). All other device Properties can be read without any errors.

Hope you already solved the problem...

Thanks and kind regards, Bertram Dumböck

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,147 Views)

Hello again 😉

Ok, here is some kind of a workaround solution:

If you have a NI-9862 CAN Module, you can start a DummySession; eg:

-DatabaseName: NIXNET_example
    -ClusterName: CAN_Cluster
    -Interface: CAN1
    -List: CANEventSignal1
    -Mode: nxMode_SignalInSinglePoint
For this DummySession, you get a session reference: SessionRef

With this session reference you can get the source terminal start trigger property: nxPropSession_IntfSrcTermStartTrigger

This property is a string (Data Type DAQmx terminal) and the string reads eg: /cDAQ9188-XXXXXXX/Slot3/Convert

By simply parsing this string you get chassis name (cDAQ9188-XXXXXXX) and slot number (Slot3)

Chassis name is same as chassis name in NI-MAX, so my personal choice is to never rename chassis in NI-MAX. If you add a ethernet chassis, just use the automatically assigned name and you never get problems with parsing the chassis serial number etc...

Hope, this helps for all of you...

Kind regards, Bertram Dumböck

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,138 Views)