From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI USB CAN 8473 write single frame and log all frame of network with read notification on the same port

Hello,

I am trying to code an application which:

- Write sometime (button click) a frame on a CAN network

- Log all frame of CAN NETWORK

My hardware is NI USB 8473 (1 port).

1/ After reading NI help about CAN APIs, I think it is not possible to do "log all CAN frame" with Channel API because I need to install a asynchronous callback to read all message, and this functionality is only present in frame API.

Anyone can confirm?

2/ No problem let's use Frame API

I have tried "CAN Receive with Notification" example delivered with NI-CAN driver, configured on virtual CAN256.

I start other sample program to generate some frame on virtual CAN257, no problem, everything is working.

So, i have tried to modify "CAN Receive with Notification" to add write function. I have mixed this source with "Transmit Receive same Port" sample (which works fine alone on CAN256).

My program is running, but nothing appens when I click on WRITE button.

I suppose some attribute are not confired, but which one.

Anyone can help? (source of my modified sample is joined to this post).

Thanx.

PS: please note im a newbie with CAN Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,986 Views)

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question on National Instruments' Forums.

I'm a little puzzled by your question.

If I understood well, you just want to receive every frame reaching the port and sometime write something through the port. Am I correct ?

You are right when you state that the NI USB 8473 can only work with frame API. However, if the operation you want to make is the one I discribed above, I can't see where you encounter a difficulty.

Indeed, for such a case, the example you mentionned in your post is perfectly suited. "Transmit Receive same Port" allows you to receive the frames reaching the port and write we needed too.

I think this example shoudl do the trick.

Or have you a more specific application in mind ?

I hope this information will help you.

Best regards,

Guillaume H.
National Instruments France

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,947 Views)