Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling an engine using labview?

Solved!
Go to solution

Is there a simple guide to getting started with interfacing an ECU with a PC using labview? I'm not sure where to start and have no idea what kind of hardware is involved.

A little background. I have a current project which involves a VW engine that is connected to a dyno. I need to be able to access the data streams in the ECU and send commands to the throttle and brake (dyno). I would really like to do all this using labview and I’ve come across a configuration guide for the NI Engine Control System. However, the only thing I can find on the NI website relating to this platform is software. 

Another platform that I've come across is NI Drivven, but again having difficulty finding information.

I apologize in advance for such an open ended question. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,849 Views)
Solution
Accepted by danielPatrick

Simple guide?  No.  You have multiple manufacturers, from around the world all deciding to do what they want more or less with a communication protocol.  Asking for a simple guide to interfacing with an ECU is like asking for a simple guide to interface with a serial device.  Is there one?  Sure but it likely needs specifics from the manufacturer to understand it, and control it.

If you need help with learning about LabVIEW I suggest starting here.

If you need help with learning about CAN I suggest starting here.

As for specifics.  I'd say most high speed, two wire, automotive ECUs communicate at 500k baud.  With that information you can plugin any CAN device (like XNet, or NI-CAN) and see the stream of data.  Understanding that data (like what corresponds to speed) either takes a DBC file provided by the manufacturer, or research, which might mean trial and error stuff by yourself or others.  For instance look at the CAN data, then increase engine speed, and see what data changes, then try to figure out the units, bit length, and scale.  Most simple things are going to be on the bus like engine RPM, speed, battery voltage, etc.  But there is a chance what you are looking for just isn't there, and for that there will need to be a diagnostic request to get the information you need.  There is going to be even less information about this then the other normal signals.  See what others online have been able to understand about your CAN bus, and see if you can decipher some of its information.  It is like talking to each other using a language.  We all make sounds (use CAN) but to understand each other we need to know the language that is being said with the sound (DBC file).

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,835 Views)