cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9860 with cDAQ

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

Can a NI-9860, the dual port multi-network card, be used with a cDAQ chassis (PC controlled, not a RT chassis)? The readme for XNET does not specify a recommended hardware configuration for running the 9860 and the product page lists both cDAQ and cRIO... 

Thanks,

Emach 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,671 Views)

I don't have a Windows (ie non-RT) chassis to test with at the moment.  I do have a cDAQ chassis with RT and that card and it works great.  I would be extremely surprised if that didn't work in Windows, but does in Linux RT.  I have used other XNet c-series modules on USB, and Ethernet based chassis which required Windows, and it worked fine.  cDAQ until recently (like 2 years) typically meant non RT.  Only somewhat recently has the cDAQ chassis got embedded RT controllers.  So if it says cDAQ, I'd assume that means even the non-embedded cDAQ.

Message 2 of 5
(3,661 Views)

Hooovahh,

Thanks for the reply. I've got the 9860 still in box with the "void" sticker intact. I'll keep the box sealed until someone happens by with a tested Windows non-RT setup as proof of concept. 

Thanks,

Emach 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,658 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Emach

The XNET readme explicitly calls out supported hardware. For the C-Series modules, the following chassis are supported:

• CompactDAQ—NI-DAQmx 9.6 (or newer) is required for:
    • USB Chassis: NI cDAQ-9171, NI cDAQ-9174, and NI cDAQ-9178
    • Ethernet Chassis: NI cDAQ-9181, NI cDAQ-9184, and NI cDAQ-9188
    • Wireless Chassis: NI cDAQ-9191
    • cDAQ Controller: NI cDAQ-9138 (Windows and RT) and NI cDAQ-9139 (Windows and RT)

You don't mention a specific chassis but I can say that the 9860 does work in both USB and Ethernet compact DAQ chassis with a Windows host PC.

Jeff L
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,654 Views)

I also wanted to mention that within the NI-XNET 17.5 readme, you will find additional cDAQ chassis/controllers that are supported. 

The cDAQ chassis that are supported are:

cDAQ-9171/4/8/9 (USB)

cDAQ-9181/4/5/8/9 (Ethernet)

cDAQ-9191 (Wireless)

The cDAQ controllers that are supported are:

cDAQ-9132/4/5/6/7/8/9 (RT/Windows)

The version of NI-DAQmx driver needed will depend on which chassis/controller is selected and that can be seen within the readme.

Thanks,

Tommy

Tommy G.
Product Manager - Search
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,650 Views)