Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Time Delayed Message Blocking in RT?

Solved!
Go to solution

I have been observing a spike in CPU when there is a case of sending a time delayed message on a cRIO.  Is this a blocking function?

Thanks,.

Casey

Casey Lamers

Phoenix, LLC

casey.lamers@phoenixwi.com

CLA, LabVIEW Champion

Check Out the Software Engineering Processes, Architecture, and Design track at NIWeek. 2018 I guarantee you will learn things you can use daily! I will be presenting!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,211 Views)

Does "Time Delayed Send Message" still open a reference to a clone pool on each call?  Because that might cause a spike.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,997 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author CaseyLamers1

Aristos Queue informed me that the Time Delayed Message is blocking in RT as currently coded.

Casey Lamers

Phoenix, LLC

CLA, LabVIEW Champion

Check Out the Software Engineering Processes, Architecture, and Design track at NIWeek. 2018 I guarantee you will learn things you can use daily! I will be presenting!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,997 Views)

How does something "blocking" cause a CPU spike?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,997 Views)

Maybe the time delay code is a fast loop? By the way that would be strange ...

I am also interested in how can it be..

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,997 Views)

It is my understanding that a blocking method pauses all other methods.  Upon release all methods that have been waiting will try to catch up.

I can say that if I increase the delay for sending the time delayed message that the corresponding peak gets higher until it reaches 100% and then it gets longer.

Casey

Casey Lamers

Phoenix, LLC

CLA, LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,997 Views)

Worth noting here too that I recently removed some Time Delayed Message sending from my app, and saw pretty large performance benefits.  I noticed during a profiling run that the function takes quite a huge amount of crunching to do, _if_ you repeatedly send one-off messages to be sent in the future(very different from sending a recurring message).  It makes sense in hindsight since it creates a clone each time, but didn't notice for a long time.

But I saw times where it would take 100 ms on some cycles to actually perform the entire function.

So, were you using a recurring delayed message, or repeatedly using the send delayed message, one per call?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,997 Views)

I was using it in "Handle Error.vi" of a Linked Network Actor when a connection error would occur.  I would wait 1000 ms and then try to reconnect.  It works, but with a big spike in CPU which prompted the initial question.

Casey Lamers

Phoenix, LLC

CLA, LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,997 Views)