From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call by reference in Launcher

I am studying the Actor Framework example project, trying to understand what is going on in the Splash Screen.vi. In particular, I want to understand why the use of Call By Reference to load the "Load App.vi." I have tried replacing this with the "Load App.vi" and the behavior seems to be the same. What advantage to using the Call by Reference in this example?

For you visual folks, both of the below block diagrams seem to behave the same.  Why would we prefer the call by reference?project defaultproject default

without call by referencewithout call by reference

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,831 Views)

Try building an executable and you will notice different behavior.  In the ide everything gets loaded as soon as you load the project so the difference is nill.  Not so in the run-time engine.  I’m sure AQ can explain the finer details way better than I can so I’ll leave that to him.

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,806 Views)

ExpAnding on my previous post:  in rye if you do a normal subVi call everything loads at the very beginning before your splash screen starts running.  If you call by reference then your splash screen loads at the very beginning (it’s really small) but not everything else.  Everything else loads after your splash screen starts runnin when it hits the call by reference node (if you have the settings on that setup right - ie load on first call)

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
Message 3 of 4
(2,804 Views)

Makes perfect sense.  Thank you!!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,801 Views)