From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building AF PPL makes LabView 2017 crash

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello folks!

I have been trying to build the Actor Framework library into a PPL but unfortunately the Application Builder crashes immediately after pressing the Build button. Here the steps:

- Open a new project

- Import Actor Framework.lvlib from vi.lib

- Try to build the PPL

Do you have any cent about this issue? I have never experienced it with LV 2016 though.

Thanks!

Enzo

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,043 Views)

I have had the same issue and I've heard many others have too. My understanding is that it's an issue with LabVIEW 2017, the project provider, and building PPL's. I don't have any other info other than the fix is expected in the next LabVIEW patch (which I think may actually be a service pack). 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,028 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author itperine86

I was talking to NI support on a slightly different topic af few weeks ago, and they mentioned that currently the AF that ships with LV2017 can not be built into a PPL. It is a bug with LV2017 that they are currently working on, but not yet fixed (as of begining of Dec 2017). The workarround was to use LV2016!

However another workarround (wich is what were doing anyway), is to grab the AF from a previous release of LV and convert to LV2017, and build the PPL from that. Our project started in LV2015, and we made some minor changes to the AF and created our own custom AF PPL. When we upgraded to LV2017 we just upgraded all our AF code to LV2017, instead of starting from scratch with the LV2017 AF, and re-built the PPL without any problems (so can't say if LV2016 AF would work, but LV2015 AF certainly did for us).

John

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,019 Views)

Hello John,

Good to hear even though we have upgraded most of our machines already. I tested your trick and it works by using the AF library from LV 2016. It has been an easy workaround at least! 🙂 Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,010 Views)

Update to this issue. LabVIEW 2017 SP1 has been released (along with f1 patch). I can confirm that Actor Framework can now be built into a PPL successfully. 

Message 5 of 7
(3,876 Views)

@wrkcrw00 wrote:

Update to this issue. LabVIEW 2017 SP1 has been released (along with f1 patch). I can confirm that Actor Framework can now be built into a PPL successfully. 

Oh thank goodness.

I apologize for this mess. I didn't introduce the break, but I did fail to have useful tests in place to catch the break. The tests I did have were not automated properly -- they'd always pass, even if the build failed. *head bang*

Message 6 of 7
(3,872 Views)

If I had a nickle for every time I said "I should have built a test for that"...

I'm curious, what was the underlying issue? 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,868 Views)