Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any caveats when building an exe from an AF project?

Solved!
Go to solution

I am starting an AF project that is a customer deliverable. Before I get too far down the road with it, are there any "gotchas" I should know about when I go to build and run the EXE?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,890 Views)

None that I know of. Works as expected as far as I have seen.

Message 2 of 5
(3,540 Views)

I have a project with 2 cRIOs and a PC done in AF and build exes regularly.  On the cRIO platform building the exe is faster that running from the development environment when you have a project with lots of classes.  Not sure that this is limited to AF, I believe it is related to # of classes.  The PC runs quickly from the development environment.  So, on cRIO be prepared for some delays when the project gets bigger.

In my case I am using the "Linked Network Actor" (built by niACS) to communicate between the platforms.  There is an important caveat there. You must include the class constants for messages that you expect to send from another location in order for it to be included in the build and run as expected.

If you would like more personal information we should talk.

Casey

Casey Lamers

Phoenix, LLC

casey.lamers@phoenixwi.com

CLA, LabVIEW Champion

Check Out the Software Engineering Processes, Architecture, and Design track at NIWeek. 2018 I guarantee you will learn things you can use daily! I will be presenting!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,540 Views)

The Actor Framework on CompactRIO (and Other RT Targets) example builds nicely into an EXE, and I have a customer who is uing AF in his built executables.  It's been easy so far.

Message 4 of 5
(3,540 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author BillMe

Not AF-specific, but be aware of some caveats if attempting to distribute your classes via packed project libraries: https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-20274

Cheers,

Matt Pollock
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,540 Views)