Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

myRIO not "properly" detected

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I am having issues getting my myRIO to be recognized by LabVIEW and/or my computer. I have attached screenshots of several things to show what my issue has become. I have un/re-installed all software related to LabVIEW (student here), reset the device itself, and nothing has worked. As a last resort, I have un-installed everything again, and went further into regedit to remove all files in the registry associated with NI to perform a clean install. After the clean install (LabVIEW and myRIO toolkit), I cannot find the LabVIEW icon for the myRIO, which is odd. However, even after this clean install, the problem persists with the network driver, and the myRIO makes a USB recognition sound when connected to the computer, but the device doesn't show up anywhere except the attached screenshot from NI MAX. This happened after a Windows update, although when looking through the log the only two updates were Silverlight (flag) and Adobe. However, such update is listed in the install file of NI LabVIEW, as it makes me agree to both Silverlight 5, and 5.1 (with the latter being the update). I tend to pause updates, although recently I was forced by Windows to perform them.

I also downloaded the USBLAN driver, and I had an error (seen in the screenshot uploaded if I didn't forget). I have contacted my professor to see how they may approach this situation, and also tech support; being a student they were no help due to "institution agreements". Not flagging them for it, as I understand, but perhaps their license could blatantly state that instead of telling me to contact them in their troubleshooter. I have an assignment and lab due on Sunday, which I would love to not be late for, but I think the professor would understand if that were to be the case, or I hope (laughs). Any help would be appreciated, truly. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(7,998 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RafCo

A few years ago when I first attempted to install LabVIEW 2017, the first version that included the new NI Package Manager, I also had trouble installing LabVIEW and the drivers I needed.  I also went through several uninstall/reinstall cycles.  And I also "cleaned out the Registry".

In order to fix this situation, I took the following steps (and, with more than a decade of experience with LabVIEW, am pretty sure that without doing this, I would not be able to run LabVIEW on my computer) --

1. Backed up my Documents and Settings.
  2. Made a list of the Software I had installed and running on my machine.
  3. Reformatted the C: Drive.
  4. Reinstalled Windows 10.
  5. Reinstalled my programs.
  6. Reinstalled my Documents and Settings.

After that, I was able to reinstall LabVIEW (but I did not install LabVIEW 2017 for another few months until some of NIPM's problems were straightened out).

Since then, there have been numerous requests for help installing LabVIEW.  I (and others) have written how to safely uninstall LabVIEW, and have warned about "aggressive Uninstalling", which almost always requires a Windows rebuild.

A few days ago, I installed LabVIEW 2019 and LabVIEW 2020 on a new PC, with support for the myRIO.  I recommend that you install LabVIEW "slowly", as follows:

1. Install (only) LabVIEW 32-bit, no Drivers, and (almost) no "Additional Features".
  2. After rebooting, install LabVIEW Real-Time (again, no Drivers, few "extras").
  3. Reboot, install DAQmx, Visa.
  4. For the myRIO, you will need the myRIO Software Toolkit.  Do this last.

You do not need NI's USBLAN.  The myRIO only needs its Toolkit to be installed -- when you connect it via USB, it will automatically start the myRIO Configurator for you.

If you are located in the US, I might be able to help you once you have your PC rebuilt.  Send me a Private Message through the NI Forums.

Bob Schor

Message 2 of 18
(7,954 Views)

Edit: Spelling

Thanks Bob!

Before you replied, I used one of my spare SSDs, well, two to be exact, and I found out that after installing everything and having it work, it was my computer indeed. I say I used two, as the first one was a 256GB SSD, which between OS and NI suite, ran out of space before I could finish the installation (for those who may wonder what the "write error" means). Since it proved to work, I did a formatted the drive and did a clean install of Windows.

However, the issue was present before the "aggressive" approach (I laugh now, but I can see how it was a very invasive uninstall). But I believe that approach did not help the problem in the long run. It was overdue as well, as I had upgraded CPU/MB, and it was a change from one brand to another. All running smooth now, and I backed up an image, as well as created a restore point just in case anything happens down the line, to prevent messing with the registry again.

I truly wish I could run everything through a VM at this point, as it is way easier to re-build in these events, but the pass-throughs seem to be an issue from what I have read, not to mention that the installation failed like 70 times as well due to something regarding the framework. Similar chipsets and everything, which may entirely have to do with it being a VM. I only have about 8 courses left and should be done with school, and in the event I need to work with LabVIEW further down the line, I will split my personal computer from education/engineering; I won't keep comingling everything anymore for sure.

Again, thanks for the response, and it was SPOT-ON on what to do, as it seems it was the only fix to the problem. (I wish I could give you a thousand Kudos).

Raf

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(7,946 Views)

Hello, Raf.  Thanks for the Kudo.

Glad you've made some progress!  I'm not 100% certain, but I believe I've made a VM that supports a myRIO, which I did by simply installing LabVIEW (not sure if it was 2019 or 2020), adding Real-Time, and adding the myRIO Toolkit.  I'm a little pressed for time right now (we have a big Project and a presentation next week), but I might be able to find it.

I'm pretty sure that in the last 2-3 weeks, I've given at least one response in the Forums about how I install LabVIEW (very slowly, one or two modules at a time, Device Drivers last), which has basically worked reliably (last week, I installed both LabVIEW 2019 SP1 and LabVIEW 2020 on a new PC).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(7,934 Views)

Dear Bob

I have the almost same problem as Rafco. 

After I uninstall all National Instruments softwares, modules, toolkits, etc including "Program File(x86)\National Instruments" folder and their registries. I succedded to install LV2016 myRIO bundle. However, the myRIO cannot communicate. 

After plug in, there was a warning "Required Software missing on the myRIO" and I "launch the getting stated wizard" with no success and displayed error message as "Cannot communicate with NI-myRIO-1900-030ac224". The 30ac224 is the myRIO serial number.

Continued to run NI MAX and did the system in Safe-Mode, after pressing reset button and restart the system. It could not be detected., with No "Hostname", No "IP Address", No "Product name" and No "Serial Number"

Again it went to pop-up windows as if I plug-in the myRIO with the same error message. Launching  getting started with the same error message: "Cannot communicate with NI-myRIO-1900-030ac224"

How can I resolve this problem. Please help. Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(7,909 Views)

I need to know more about your system to advise you.

• It sounds like you removed all other NI software, which would include LabVIEW and MAX, and installed only the myRIO 2016 Software Toolkit.  This can't be correct, as you then talk about using MAX.
  • Please confirm what software you have installed.  If you do have MAX installed, you can open it and open the Software Tab under My System.  A screenshot of this list would be useful.
  • If you are installing LabVIEW for use with a myRIO, I recommend the following:
    1. Decide on the LabVIEW Version you are going to use.  This will depend on your license(s).  You can download the Installer (for recent versions of LabVIEW, this is NI Package Manager, or NIPM, which can be tempermental). 
    2. Install NIPM first.  Use NIPM to install (only!) the 32-bit version of LabVIEW you've selected (e.g. LabVIEW 2016).  Do not initially install Drivers, and go easy on the "Additional Software" (only install if you know you are going to use it).  After every installation, reboot, whether NIPM demands it or not.
    3. Install LabVIEW Real-Time Module next.  Again, no Drivers and few Additions.
    4. If you are just getting started, you probably don't need other Modules or Toolkits.  Go ahead and install DAQmx, MAX (I'm not sure that MAX is a selectable choice), and NI VISA.  If you expect to use GPIB devices, go ahead and install NI 488.2 (I have no idea why NIPM always "checks" this box).
    5. Now you are ready to download the appropriate version (that matches the LabVIEW Version you just installed) of the myRIO Software Toolkit.
  • At this point, you should have a stable system that should work with a working myRIO when you plug it into USB.  You should hear the little "USB Connect" sound, and the myRIO System Monitor (or whatever it is called) should pop up.  If you have Internet Explorer (don't ask me why NI insists that this is the only way to run their Configuration utility), you can try to run the Configuration utility (I think that's what it is called, the third or fourth option on the System Monitor).

Let me know what happens,  Although I generally hate "pictures" on the Forum, a Screen Shot from MAX after such an install could be revealing.

Bob Schor 

P.S. -- I'm going to try to attach a screen shot of one of my PCs with LabVIEW 2019 SP1 (32-bit) and LabVIEW 2020 (32-bit) installed, along with the myRIO Toolkit (which, you might notice, does not appear under My System, but does appear under Remote Systems, associated with my attached myRIO).  I've probably put a few more things than you would need, but it is largely what I described above.  Let's see if it fits ...

MAX View of Software.png

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(7,899 Views)

It is true that I removed all the NI software, because every time I reinstalled myRIO bundle, it skipped installing LV2016. Therefore I removed all the folder in the "Program Files (x86)\National Instruments" which I assumed as a clean installation. Anyway I can install LV2016 myRIO bundles, as shown in Figure: 

LV2016OpeningScreen.png

According to MAX, the software that I have installed are:

SoftwareInstalledbasedonMAX.png

 It seems that the LabVIEW Realtime and myRIO Toolkit did not correctly installed. When I reinstalled myRIO Bundles, it cannot be installed, as shown below:

Reinstalling myRIOToolkit.png

However, when using "Setting >> AppS & features >> National Instruments Softwares", it seems that the Realtime module and myRIO had been installed

NI Software Installed1.png

NI Software Installed2.png

NI Software Installed3.png

Based on you recommendation that

1. I should install LV2016 as I have this license

2. I should install NIPM. At that time, I did not install NIPM. Should I install the latest NIPM version?, and after that uninstall LV2016 and other components that I previously installed using the NIPM? and Install only LV2016 as you suggested

I will do your suggestion, and report it soon. Thank you

Sastra Kusuma Wijaya

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(7,887 Views)

Hello, Sastra.

It appears that you are, indeed, installing LabVIEW 2016, which pre-dates NIPM, which means you do not need (and probably should not install) NIPM.  Trust me, it is much easier without it, and if you continue to use (and upgrade) LabVIEW, you will eventually be forced to use it.

When I look at the Software listing that MAX sees, I don't see LabVIEW Real-Time, yet some other setting shows it.  This suggests (to me) that you might have a bad installation.

If I were doing this, myself, or if you were one of my students and brought your laptop to me with this problem, I'd proceed as follows:

• I'd assume that the previous installation was faulty, and would recommend that you do a "Safe" Uninstallation of all NI Software.
  • I'd then suggest that you do a reinstallation of LabVIEW 2016, followed by the myRIO 2016 Sofware Toolkit.

Here's how to do a Safe Uninstallation of NI Software (note that there are numerous ways to do an "unsafe" Uninstallation, the repair for which involves reformatting the C: drive, reinstalling Windows, reinstalling all your Apps, reinstalling all your Documents -- you don't want to do this!).

• Open Control Panel.  Go to Programs and Features.  Find National Instruments Software.  Do "Remove All".  Reboot.
  • Repeat the above step (it sometimes takes two passes).
  • Do not mess with the Registry!  I recommend leaving any National Instruments folders and files still on your C: drive alone -- they should be overwritten on the reinstallation step.

It is possible that when you do the removal step, you will see NIPM pop up.  Don't Panic!  Go ahead and use NIPM to remove all of the NI Software (except for itself -- it should be grayed out).  Be sure to make sure it shows you all the installed files (don't check "Products Only").  Do this enough times that the only thing left is NIPM, itself -- when you get here, you'll be given the option to remove it (with dire warnings) -- go ahead.  Finally, when everything seems to be removed, go back to Control Panel and remove any remaining National Instruments Software.

OK, now you have no National Instruments Software installed, and are ready for a Clean Install.

• Install only LabVIEW 2016 (32-bit) (you can install VIPM at this step).  Reboot.
  • Install only LabVIEW Real-Time Module.  Reboot.
  • You shouldn't need anything else except the drivers, right?  If you want some extras, such as the Report Generation Toolkit or the TDM Excel Addin, you can install them before (or after) the Drivers.  Reboot.
  • I don't remember exactly the choices for Driver Installation in LabVIEW 2016, but this is what you want:  DAQmx, NI VISA, PXI Platform Services, System Configuration.  Reboot.
  • Install the 2016 myRIO Toolkit.  Reboot.
  • Configure LabVIEW (open LabVIEW, go to Tools, Options, and set it up as you like.  I personally uncheck Block Diagram "Place front panel terminals as icons".  Be sure to enable TCP/IP on the VI Server Tab -- you need it for both VIPM and the myRIO.
  • Plug in the myRIO.  See if it is recognized.  Try to run the 4th Option, "Configure myRIO" -- this should launch "System Configuration", which will show you the myRIO and its current OS and Firmware Version.  For example, my system shows Firmware Version 7.0.0f0, and the OS as NI Linux Real-Time ARMv7-A 4.14.87.rt49-cg-7.0.0f0-xylinx-zynq-189.  Yours might be a little difference, as your version of the Toolkit is older than mine (but should work just fine with your system).
  • There's a possibility that you'll need to refresh the Firmware on your myRIO.  MAX can help with this.

Let me know how this goes.  If you are still having problems, Reply here.

Bob Schor  

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(7,880 Views)

Dear Bob,

Thank you for your quick respond. I did follow your previous suggestion to install NIPM first and continued to install software bundles one at a time and boot after each installation. I installed each software from "Distribution" folder. While doing installation I got your new suggestions. However I continued installation and it went the same problem ( IP address inconsistent). I realized that I made two mistakes in installation: 1. I forgot to unplug the USB Cable that connected to the myRIO, 2. I installed myRIO toolkit before installing drivers. Therefore, I followed your current suggestions. 

I uninstalled all the NI programs using Apps & Features from Windows, but they were handled by NIPM. All the programs gone, but they were many folders and files in the "Program Files (86)\National Instruments". To clean these files and folder I used "uninst.exe /qb  /x all" . But the NIPM was still in the computer, and could not be uninstalled using Windows application. I used third party software to uninstall the NIPM (2020). I do not know whether this is a clean uninstallation.

As you suggest I did not use NIPM, and installed each software at a time followed by booting.

1. Install LV2016 with NI MAX (this part has to be installed with LV2016). Other part can be disabled

This step installation I included VIPM2016

LV2016 First Installation.png

2. Install Real-Time Module only

Adding RT Module.png

3. Install Drivers

a. I installed DAQmx 17.0 

DAQmx17.png

b. NI VISA version 17 could not be installed, as it already installed higher version. I never intentionally installed NI VISA driver. 

NI-VISA Driver Cancelation.png

I did not installed NI VISA driver

c. System Configuration

System Configuration Driver.png

4. Install myRIO Toolkit did not have any problem.

After booting I made some changes in LabVIEW options as you suggested

TCPIP Setup.png

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(7,866 Views)

It seems that it has been cut of my respond.

After plug in myRIO, I got the same error as previously

Plug in myRIO.png

From the NI MAX, I got this:

MAX Reports.png

I could not go "configure myRIO" using Internet Explorer. It seems that IE couldnot detect the myRIO firmware, as shown:

IE myRIO.png

IE myRIO Troubleshoot.png

Is there any mistakes of my installation? Looking forward your suggestion. Thank you

Sastra Kusuma Wijaya

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(7,865 Views)