Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powering Servo Motor via breadboard to MyRIO

Hi,
I am working on a uni project which involves controlling a SG5010 TowerPro Servo Motor using myRIO and LabVIEW. I have created a LabVIEW VI which can control a SG92R Micro Servo over a pulse width of 0.5ms-2.5ms with 50Hz frequency with no issues.

I purchased the SG5010 servo as I need a stronger motor for this project, but when when I run the code it makes a ticking noise and doesn’t move consistently. The motor is connected to the +5V power output pin on the myRIO which has a maximum current current draw of 100mA. It seems that this +5V pin doesn’t supply enough current to power the SG5010 servo, but could be fixed with an external power source connected via a breadboard.

What type of power supply (voltage/current) can be used to control the SG5010 servo motor? I heard that servo motors can be powered using 4xAA batteries or a LiPo battery but I am not sure what current is required and what the best rechargeable or wall outlet option is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,373 Views)

Hello,

You are right, current is a critical parameter for any motor.

I found the below parameters:

VAKI_0-1633161555739.png

The resource is here.

15V power outputs seem can't deliver enough current. In this case, will be better to find an additional source to power the motor.

(1,312 Views)