PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Card Memory PXI 8108

I have a PXI 8108 with an Intel Express 4 Chipset. In windows it states that I have 64MB dedicated memory but in the BIOS I can set to 128MB or 256 or Max? Who's right the BIOS or Windows?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,406 Views)

Hello,

Can you post some screen shots of the 64 MB dedicated memory and possibly a picture of your BIOS so I can see what settings you are referring to? 

I am not sure what memory settings you are referring to. More details on where you are finding these settings and information in windows would be helpful as well. 

Brad S. | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,391 Views)

Both are right. 😃

Your total graphics memory is the sum of the preallocated memory plus the dynamically allocated memory, which can grow or shrink based on the behavior of the graphics driver and the current graphics load on the system.

64MB is the amount of static memory - it is the amount of system RAM that is claimed directly by the graphics controller before the OS even loads, always for use by the graphics controller. The value in the BIOS setting refers to the additional amount that the graphics driver can try to allocate if needed and if available.  Depending on the version of Windows you are using it may not know how to accurately report current usage and instead defaults reasonably to giving you the minimum guaranteed value of 64. In practice, actual memory used for graphics will vary between 64MB and whatever top end value you select in the BIOS.

Also, if you need more information on this topic, the Intel name for this feature is "dynamic video memory technology" (DVMT). You can find a lot more detail searching online for "intel dvmt".

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,385 Views)