From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI PXI 4065 DMM Measurement Information

Hi everyone, I am using the NI PXI 4065 DMM for a voltage measurement.  I am using the NI DMM READ.vi to read a single measurement.  I am setting the NI DMM resolution to 6 1/2 digits when I take my measurement.

I am trying to figure out if any averaging is done in a single measurement.  Per the NI 4065 spec (attached to this post), for a measurement with 6 1/2 digit resolution the aperature time is 100 NPLC.  Here are my questions:

1. What is the total amount of time it takes to take one measurement with the DMM set up to 6 1/2 digit resolution?

2. What is the default aperature time for 6 1/2 digit resolution?

3. How many samples are being averaged when the DMM is setup to 6 1/2 digit resolution with aperature = 100 NPLC?

Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,504 Views)

Hi,

Yes, in a single measurement there is averaging done.

The amount of time it takes to take one measurement depends ont he aperature time. So, for example, if your power input to the chassis is a 50Hz line and you choose an aperature of 100 NPLC the time it would take is 1/50 *100 so this would be 2 seconds.

This document provides information on the default values for the 4065:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370384N-01/dmm/4065_dmm_defaults/

As you can see the default aperature time for 6 1/2 digits is 200ms

The number of samples per average is unfortunately not published.

Brian H. -- Electronics & Measurements Product Marketing Manager
Message 2 of 2
(4,486 Views)