PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading PXI-8108 from XP to Windows 7

Hi,

Are there any issues in upgrading our PXI-8108 embedded controller from XP to Windows 7 that is dfferent from a regular PC?  Any gotchas. hints, or suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(7,929 Views)

Hi John,

Upgrading the OS on a PXI controller is the same as any other computer. You will have to manually install all NI software and drivers, but otherwise, it has common drivers that windows 7 should be able to find as long as you are connected to the internet.

Trevor B.
PSE
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(7,914 Views)

Thanks!

I thought as much but I wanted to be informed.   I assume it supports 64 bit too?  Any issues with 64 bit?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(7,909 Views)

Aside from the standard issues with driver support for specific NI products, I expect that the PXI-8108 can support 64-bit Windows. You would just need to get the correct peripheral drivers.

Gabriel M.
Product Marketing Engineer - Academic Courseware
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(7,892 Views)

Hi Guys,

Can i get the PXI 8108 peripheral driver in the NI website?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(6,702 Views)

Moved to new thread:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/PXI/PXI-8108-and-Win7-64-bit/m-p/3069360/highlight/false#M14336

David R
Systems Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(6,695 Views)

I have a new NI PXI-8108. I'm not sure what OS is included in it; however, I want to have Windows 7 installed on it once I install the controller to the chassis. If I want to upgrade how will I be able to do so? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(6,216 Views)

I have a new NI PXI-8108. I'm not sure what OS is included in it; however, I want to have Windows 7 installed on it once I install the controller to the chassis. If I want to upgrade how will I be able to do so? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(6,212 Views)

It works fine.   There are number of ways to get Window 7

1.  Use a portable USB DVD player.  Make it bootable from USB in BIOS.

2.  Mount and share another computer's DVD drive and use that.  But it doesn't work for booting.  However I don't think it is still necessary to boot.   I think you can run the setup file.    The downside to this approach is that your registry will have mappings to the network drive which may not always exist and create delays as your computer tries to ping them.

3.  Use various imaging tools like Norton Ghost or Clonzilla to put a predefined image.

There are more ways too like mounting and booting from an ISO image located on a USB external drive.  You need some software for this but there are some free ones out there that work.

Often your IT group has ways of provisioning a machine over the network. 

Message 9 of 11
(6,209 Views)

I also cloned the HDD and replaced it with a much larger SSD.  A total WOW performance upgrade

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,791 Views)