PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXIe Hybrid board in PXI 1 slot

Sorry if this has already been answered.

Can I plug a PXI hybrid card (J1 and XJ4 connectors) into a PXI 1 slot with J1/J2 connectors?

If so then will the PXI STAR and PXI trigger bus connectivity work (it looks like those pins match up OK).

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,687 Views)

Hi chrismcclements76

My name is Mitch from NI Technical Support, and I'd be happy to address your query.

As far as I'm aware, you should be able to connect your PXI card to the chassis if the chassis is PXI Hybrid Compatible.

Which PXI card and PXI chassis are you referring to specifically?

Regards,

Mitch

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,658 Views)

Hi Mitch,

> Which PXI card and PXI chassis are you referring to specifically?

The PXI card is a PXI hybrid slot card which has the form factor shown in the image below. The connector pinout uses the specifciation from section 4.10.3 "PXI Express Hybrid Peripheral Slot" defined in the PXI Express Hardware Specification, rev 1.0.

capture.png

The card is intended to be used in the NI PXI-1042 and AdLink PXIS-2719A.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,650 Views)

Hi chrismcclements76

From what I know, the card shown is most likely a PXI card that has been converted for PXIe compatibility (as you've shown with the XJ4 connector). The PXI-1042 chassis will only accept PXI cards with the J1/J2 connectors in place. Unfortuntaley, I'm unable to advise on the AdLink PXIS-2719A as I'm not really familiar with it.

I hope this information was useful for you. If you have any further questions, please do let me know

Regards,

Mitch

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,643 Views)

Chris,

You can plug a card with J1 and XJ4 into either a hybrid slot (in a PXIe chassis) or a PXI 1 slot with J1/J2 connectors.  It should work fine in either case.  The XJ4 connector was set up to allow this migration.

There are a few pins that change function between PXI 1 and a hybrid slot.  They were mostly the rarely used local bus pins, and some of them provide power in a PXIe chassis.  If the vendor used the XJ4 connector it implies they aren't using those pins and it's safe to put it into a hybrid slot.  But in a PXI 1 chassis the pins are what they always were, so it's fine.  And you should get the same functionality in either type of chassis.

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,598 Views)