NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mr._Jim

Find All Sequence Calls - Context Menu Option

I'm declining this one for two reasons:

1. As Shashidhar pointed out, the existing hierarchy viewer will produce similar results
  2. Find All Sequence Calls could be misleading. Since Sequence Call Steps can specify sequences dynamically at runtime with an expression, implementing a "Where Used" type feature would basically recreate hierarchy viewer

Thanks for the feedback!

Trent

Forgive me for the cavalcade of suggestions this week...

One of my favorite options in the LabVIEW development environment is the "Find all Instances" context menu option, whereby one is able to locate all calls to the particular SubVI.

I have long wished that something similar were available in the TestStand Sequence Editor. I'd like to propose a "Find All Sequence Calls" context menu selection when right-clicking on a sequence in the Sequence pane. This could leverage the Find tool, but save the user from copying and pasting the name of the sequence. (And save the user from configuring the search options to narrow down the results) It'd be nice to be able to define the scope of the "find" operation to either the selected sequence or all sequences in memory, but I'd settle for a simple search of the open sequence.

Cheers,

Mr. Jim

FindAllSequenceCalls.png

3 Comments
Shashidhar

There is another existing option for finding all the sequence call steps in the same sequence file, calling a particular sequence.

In the context menu you have shown in the snapshot, select 'Display File Hierarchy'. It will show all the sequences having a sequence call step calling a particular sequence. You can also directly go to the sequence call step from that view.

-Shashidhar

Mr._Jim
Active Participant

Thanks Shashidhar - I knew about that option but clearly I had not explored it enough!  Not quite what I was suggesting but it'll get the job done - someone worked very hard on that tool and I appreciate it.

WireWeaver
Active Participant
Status changed to: Already Implemented

I'm declining this one for two reasons:

1. As Shashidhar pointed out, the existing hierarchy viewer will produce similar results
  2. Find All Sequence Calls could be misleading. Since Sequence Call Steps can specify sequences dynamically at runtime with an expression, implementing a "Where Used" type feature would basically recreate hierarchy viewer

Thanks for the feedback!

Trent

https://www.linkedin.com/in/trentweaver