Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to compile examples in NI-DAQmx Base 3.4 installation for Red Hat

Solved!
Go to solution
Typing 'make' in /usr/local/natinst/nidaqmxbase/examples/ai gives the following error: $ make gcc -I../../include -O2 -lnidaqmxbase -o acquireNScans /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/local/lib/libnidaqmxbase.so when searching for -lnidaqmxbase /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lnidaqmxbase collect2: ld returned 1 exit status make: *** [acquireNScans] Error 1 It seems as though the libraries are not compatible with my version of Red Hat/gcc. Are the libraries pre-built are built during installation? Don
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,311 Views)
Reviewing the OS support for NI-DAQmx base 3.4, I see that Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS 4 and 5 are supported. I am running Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4. I don't know anything about the various Red Hat releases. Would this make NI-DAQmx Base 3.4 incompatible with my machine? Don
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,309 Views)

Hi Don, 

Have you already installed VISA and NI-KAL before attempting to install DAQmx? Our read me lists all the versions we have tested the install on and can verify it's functionality.  Since Advanced Server does not exist on the list means that either it is not supported or we just haven't tested it yet.  In theory it should have no problems installing because it is still RHEL, just renamed.  I've attached the Knowledge Base below that explains a little more in detail what OS's are supported as well as the need for NI-KAL. 

What Linux Distributions Do National Instruments Drivers and Software Support?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/4857A755082E9E228625778900709661?OpenDocument 

Regards, 

Kyle S

Regional Account Manager
NI
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,298 Views)
Thank you for your response, Kyle. The readme for NI-DAQmx Base 3.4 indicates that installing NI-KAL prior to NI-DAQmx Base is only necessary for OpenSuse systems. It also says that it installs NI-VISA as a first step. I am using Red Hat, and the /usr/local/natinst/nikal/ directory exists and has contents on my machine, so I presume that it was installed during the installation of NI-DAQmx Base. I went ahead and attempted to install the latest version of NI-KAL (2.1) to see if that would change anything, and it gave me an error during installation: Installing NI-KAL version 2.1.0f0... Pre Installation . Post Installation . Pre Installation .. Preparing... ########################################### [100%] 1:nikali ########################################### [100%] Post Installation . Warning: nikali post installation failed! /tmp/nikaliPostInstall.log follows: ERROR: failed to build nipxirmk.ko nipxirmk.ko failed to update. Update of National Instruments drivers failed. . FOR PATENTS COVERING NATIONAL INSTRUMENTS PRODUCTS, REFER TO THE PATENTS.txt FILE ON /mnt/disk AND/OR www.ni.com/patents NI-KAL Installation completed with errors. I'm not sure what I should do now. Don
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,294 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Donalbane

In case anyone else has this problem, I was able to resolve it by (1) adding -m32 to the FLAGS in the Makefile, and (2) by following these instructions:

"During the build of the examples, the linker may report that liblvrtdark.so has
unresolved symbols in the Standard C++ Library.  This is a known issue as of
NI-DAQmx Base 3.4 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS 4.  To properly link and run
the examples, make the following modifications to the Makefile.

Add /usr/local/lib/LabVIEW-2010/patchlib/libstdc++.so.6 to nilibs.
Add -Wl,-rpath,'/usr/local/lib/LabVIEW-2010/patchlib' to the flags." from the README:

http://ftp.ni.com/support/softlib/multifunction_daq/nidaqmxbase/3.4/Linux/README.txt

Don

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,263 Views)