Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISM-7412E Limits not working as expected per User Manual

I’m having an issue with the ISM-7412E versus what is in the User Manual.

On Page 17 in Figure 19 it is indicated that the Limits should be Active when no current is flowing in the circuit (the ground is interrupted) – which is typically desired so that if the switches break the stage won’t crash and a broken limit switch acts like it is at a limit. 

The problem is the motor is not acting as if Closed = Run, it is reporting that the limits are active when there is current flowing.

When I try to change the Axis behavior using SoftMotion property Forward Limit Active State and Reverse Limit Active State I get Error – 70037  Motion: The specified attribute is not relevant.

Is there another property or programmatic way to change the Limit Behavior to be Active when No Current?

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
Senior Systems Analyst II
NASA Ames Research Center
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,652 Views)

Hi Ryan,

Which controller are you using, and which version of SoftMotion are you using? This error has been listed as a known issue in older versions of SoftMotion.

Tina K.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,616 Views)

The controller is built into the motor.

The SoftMotion version is 2015 SP1.

I have found that using the Applied Motion SCL Utility allows me to change the DL setting to 2 and then also SAVE it to the drive as the default setting which allows the drive to react to the limits as expected.  This saves the setting even through a power cycle.  When I utilize the ST Configurator from Applied Motion and utilize the Status Monitor (The Status Monitor does not work through the NI Configurator, it errors out and shuts down the program).

Unfortunately as soon as I engage the drive through LabVIEW SoftMotion it overrides this setting and then the switches are incorrect again.

Is there a way to expose the UDP or TCP connection and send raw SCL commands to the drive through the SoftMotion Interface?  I can see that being one workaround.  I really don't want to have to write all the commands that are currently handled by SoftMotion just to make my limits work properly.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,613 Views)

It seems from the documentation and the SCL Command list for DL (Define Limits) that the motor drive is not configured correctly internally.

When I set DL2 (Normally Open) then the drive responds as expected - which is opposite the documentation provided.

I expect that if I set DL1 (Normally Closed) that the drive would work as listed in the manual.

Now that I have found a workaround in the SCL commands, I hope I can access it through SoftMotion...

I am not sure if there is a firmware setting I can use on the drive itself that would correct this issue.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,605 Views)