LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File colors in project tree

Solved!
Go to solution

I thought to remember that in earlier versions of CVI source files needing compilation were marked in a different color (pink?) while in CVI2013 this feature seems to be gone. Did I miss something? I did like the color coding...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,463 Views)

I do most of my development work in LabWindows/CVI.  I love it.  I just upgraded to LabWindows/CVI 2013.  I never installed 2012.

I do know that in 2011 and previous versions, pink was used in the project tree to identify files needing to be compiled.  I truly miss this feature and I beg NI to bring it back in an update.

Otherwise, as usual, I think LabWindows/CVI 2013 is an awesome tool.

Thanks!

Message 2 of 5
(4,445 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wolfgang

Hello Wolfgang, Bill_Jacobs,

Because in CVI 2013 the compiler is no longer part of the environment, that feature has been removed. CVI 2012 and older versions had direct access to the compiler's data structures, which made the retrieval of data possible without loss of performance or additional operations.

Thank you for the positive feedback!

Best regards,
Nelu F. || National Instruments.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,420 Views)

Hello Nelu,

I see, it was on purpose, so no chance of having it fixed Smiley Wink

CVI2013 knows if files need to be re-compiled or not, unfortunately this information is hidden - why not indicate if pushing the RUN button will start the executable or start compilation...

For example, in projects with many files changing an include file immediately showed the impact, i.e. the affected files. I don't see why this should affect performance.

Anyway I understand that this wish requires another idea suggestion, you can find it here...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,416 Views)

Hi Wolfgang,

It affects performance because the ADE itself no longer keeps track of the compilation state. The only way to obtain it is by starting a test build and allowing the normal dependency checks that then take place during the build to determine what needs to be compiled and return that information to the ADE. Those test builds would have to be performed almost continuously in order for the ADE to be able to maintain that information, as it used to before 2013.

Luis

Message 5 of 5
(4,367 Views)