LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

insert activeX into VI

Hi,

I am trying to insert a exe or jar file through modern--> "file path control" and then execute it in the VI. I have tried to do that with web -browser Active-X in that case I am using URL and instead of http path I have used my local C:\ path and it works when it is on a local machine. But my application runs remotely through Labview Web publishing and when I try to access it through my browser on other PC it couldn't load from the server's c:\ path. It says there is a connection/DNS problem. But I am assuming it is because it can't understand the file path.

I am attaching my web-browser ActiveX VI.

It doesn't allow me to attach my ohms-law_en.jar simulation so I am posting a link where it could be downloaded.

http://phet.colorado.edu/simulations/sims.php?sim=Ohms_Law 

Thanks,

SK

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,015 Views)

Hello SK,

I will test this out today and post any suggestions of mine on this thread. 

Vivek Nath
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
Machine Vision
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,977 Views)

I look forward to it. Thanks

SK

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,967 Views)

Hi SK,

I put the link you sent into the URL control on the front panel.  I was able to see the webpage just fine. Have you tried that?

Kristen H.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,935 Views)

Hi Kristen,

Thanks for your feedback. Yeah, it does work from local PC. But if you could please try it:

1) publish my test-simulation.vi through labview publishing.

2) You need to download that small simulation file ohm-law_en.jar from the weblink provided and execute it. It will show a path as URL on local PC.

3) Copy that path in the URL of the test-simulation.vi.

4) Access that vi through web browser  from another PC and run VI.

5) That's when I get the message that network can't reach or so.

I think becasue the URL has local path of that labview server and I am trying to access it over the LAN. That's why I wanted to use "path" instead of URL to see if it works. But path doesn't associate with web-browser .. I simply I don't know how to.

I will appreciate your feedback again.

SK

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,913 Views)

I Assume you must use the full specifier and ofc have the file shared on the network on the remote computer.

Instead of c:\[path] you can try \\[computer name]\[share name]\[path]

So, assuming you're running c:\program files\testprog\test.exe on the computer Comp1 you'll need to:

1. Share the testprog folder

2. use the path \\comp1\testprog\test.exe

Then it should work (haven't tried it)

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,904 Views)

Thank you so much Yamaeda. It worked!!

The only thing is, it opens up a windows dialogue to "open or save" file. Is there a way to automate that through URL link command to open it with out asking. I have tried to uncheck my dialogue box which says always ask before opening. Because, if I use it from the remote PC that dialogue box appears on the main server where vi runs every time  I run that vi.

So what I did, I have used URL of that file as a constant string in the block diagram and from there it shows the file name in browser window and double clicking it executes it in a new browser. So far so good. But I will try to refine this to just one step so we don't have to open a browser window. But I got the key idea od sharing.

Thanks once again.

SK

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,890 Views)