LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to create a simple database without Database Toolkit?

I am sorry for posting again, but is there a way to create a simple database without using the labview database toolkit?  Can we create a program that would have a connectivity

between LV and MS Access?

Now on LabVIEW 10.0 on Win7
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(8,276 Views)

You certainly can. One option is to search these forums for LabSQL which can be downloaded and used with MS Access. You'll need to look up a bit of SQL too, a quick google search for SQL tutorials normally comes up trumps.

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(8,274 Views)

To be a little more helpful now that I'm back at my desk, you can download the toolkit from here...

http://jeffreytravis.com/lost/labsql.html

The image below gives a simple example of how to connect, read and close a MS access database. Remember to close all connections otherwise you can end up blocking access to the database.

Ian

Lab SQL example

Message 3 of 9
(8,241 Views)

Oh, and another option (that I have never used) is given in Jim's post here...

http://forums.ni.com/t5/BreakPoint/SQLite-API/td-p/1269052

Message 4 of 9
(8,220 Views)

Hey Ian,

Thank you so much man for the help, I shall definately go through it, i was wondering, if I could simply create an excel file and then import it to MS ACCESS and then create a database in

MS Access, that would be much simpler I guess, i duno how to get along SQL and stuff, but I would definately try this; looks fun 😉

Message 5 of 9
(8,209 Views)

I picked up all of my SQL from this web site: http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp

Personally, I found it best to keep the SQL simple and when more complicated filtering or sorting was required I had more luck using LabVIEW to manipulate arrays of data.

I ended up messing around a lot with the presence or absence of semicolons and spaces but with a bit of practice and debugging you end up with some standard SQL commands that can be slightly modified to get what you need. It helps to put lots of indicators on the front panel to help you see the data that you read back from the database as initially it can be a bit baffling.

Good luck!

Message 6 of 9
(8,197 Views)

_Ian_ i was trying few examples from the LABsql toolkit you mentioned, (fetch a table VI), and in that it mentions ConnectionString, where do I get the information about these commands??

Is it SQL or what?? 

Can you please guide me? I went through the .chm file in the toolkit where they have mentioned basics about the sql i guess, making a connection, execution, closing and all, but how to use the commands

becomes little complex.

Please help.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(8,133 Views)

The connection string contains information about the database.  I've found connectionstrings.com to be a helpful site.

For example:

The connection string, using standard security, for an Access 2007 db would be like this:
Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=C:\myFolder\myAccess2007file.accdb;Persist Security Info=False;
Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 8 of 9
(8,117 Views)

thanks a lot man.. will go through it... 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(8,103 Views)