cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

csv with double quotes

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I've had harsh time trying to figure out how to read a csv file with double quotes, I need to read a csv file in order to fill a spreadsheet.

I attach a csv file example to show the sort of file I'm working on.

Thank you

Raymundo Cassani
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,090 Views)

Search and Replace to ditch the quotes then Spreadsheet String to Array.

DitchQuotes.png

Message 2 of 6
(5,071 Views)

I already try that solution, but it doesn't work, because it just delete the double quoutes. If you open the csv test file with a spreadsheet application (for example Excel), you'll find that there are only two columns.

test.jpg

Raymundo Cassani
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,042 Views)
Solution
Accepted by rCassani

Upon closer inspection, you are right, it was a trick question.  You need to look for commas that follow an even number of quotation marks for the separators.  Since my previous snippet was not converted, I assume you have an earlier LV version so I have attached an example in 8.6.  You can get rid of the quotes if you like (exercise for the reader).

CSV ReadWithQuotes.png 

Message 4 of 6
(5,031 Views)

By the time I read your reply I had a solution, but my vi is very involved; yours is simplier and easier to understand. 

Thank you.

Raymundo Cassani
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,007 Views)

Could you possible post either the block diagram or the VI in version 7.1?

Thank you.

When I started programming in 1979 there weren't CSV files, however my recollection is that CSV files existed in the late 80's, which would have been around LabVIEW version 2.0, and I don't recall when Spreadsheet String to Array was introduced.  It would be nice after 20 years of development and 10+ versions for CSV to be properly parsed...

Regards,

Leif Kirschenbaum

LabVIEW user since 2.0
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,816 Views)