LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't find motion controller

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm using a unidex 12 motion controller by aerotech.  My labview program was operating my motion controller well, when suddenly it couldn't find it.  I went to the measurements and automation tab to search for it, but it couldn't find the controller.  The program was able to find all of the other devices connected, but not the motion controller.  I disconnected all of the other devices except for the unidex and labview still couldn't find it.  I then took the controller and piggybacked it onto an identical motion controller (no reason for doing so).  Not only could labview not find the first motion controller, it couldn't even find the one I had piggybacked onto.  Thoughts?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,126 Views)
Could the controller be no more, deceased, or morbund? Could it be a late controller?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,108 Views)

I can operate the controller manually.  The controllers are old and no longer serviced by Aeroteh.  However, I don't think age is relevant because I immediately got the same problem when I connected to a second motion controller (also unidex 12).  So, now I have to motion controllers with the exact same problem.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,100 Views)
Which interface are you using? RS232 or gpib? Can you operate it from within max?

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,090 Views)

I'm using GPIB interface and MAX to try and find the controller, but it doesn't work.   I can find other devices hooked up through GPIB using MAX and same cable.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,086 Views)
Then I would check to make sure the gpib interface on the controller is enabled and the address is correct. Also, some old instruments didn't recognize the standard IDN command.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,078 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jserafin

Good news everyone:  the GPIB address had been surreptitously changed to 0 which made remote control impossible since that value is reserved for the GPIB controller.  I appreciate everyone's advice.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,067 Views)
You're welcome, it is typical however to tag the message that pointed you in the right direction (gpib address wrong) as the solution.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,058 Views)