From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA Serial Misery....

Solved!
Go to solution

The option to install NI-VISA runtime is there when you build an installer. Go to 'Additional Installers' and select it. You should also consider installing MAX and if you go to the 'Hardware Configuration' screen, you can include the MAX settings on your pc.

0 Kudos
Message 31 of 36
(1,007 Views)

I'm not sure what "MAX" is,  the com port dropdown has no default.  

I am installing on a new machine, all i get in the dropdown is refresh.

I assume that i need to include some aditional installer but the only ones that seem to mention serial are:

NI-Serial 3.3  ( which is for real time)

Visa runtime 4.5 ( which is for signal express)

install.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 32 of 36
(1,003 Views)

Zac:  You will need to check the boxes for the following:

1.  NI LabVIEW Measurement and Automation Explorer 4.6 (also known as "MAX")

2.  and NI Visa runtime 4.5 - this supports your serial ports, and is not just signal express.

as a minimum.  Rebuild the executable and  reinstall it on the target.

Message Edited by Bill_in_Detroit on 03-24-2010 01:31 PM
GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 36
(998 Views)
The latest VISA runtime should be fine. MAX is the NI Measurement & Automation Explorer.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 34 of 36
(994 Views)

it wont install them, it seems to think that other packages are needed for these (like labview realtime etc...)

wontwork.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 35 of 36
(990 Views)

Zac:  I think what you are seeing is the result of where the Visa run time or MAX software was last installed from, possibly via a download or from a CD or DVD with that title.  If you do not have the original install media you can download the necessary software packages from ni.com.

Also, what other software install options do you have checked (other than what is shown in your image of your previous posting)?   I can't see the other items above the top of the "NI installers to include" screen in your screen capture.  Also, make sure you have the Visa run-time, not Visa for real time selected.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 36 of 36
(985 Views)