From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traditional NI-DAQ (Legacy) Devices In Measurement and Automation Explorer 4.7 with LabView2010 under Windows 7.

Solved!
Go to solution

In Measurement and Automation Explorer 4.7, with LabView2010 under Windows 7, Traditional NI-DAQ (Legacy) Devices appears under Devices and Interfaces, and it allows me to create an SCXI-1000 entry, and it accepts "Reset for Traditional NI-DAQ".  However, it does not look for the modules in the SCXI1000, and when I request "Test", it replies "Unable to test the chassis at this time."  The NI-DAQmx device entry for the SCXI-1000 has no problems, and detects the modules just fine.  I need the Legacy DAQ for a popular old instructional tool that has no equivalent in NI-DAQmx.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,908 Views)

This solution did not work.  It seems that the latest LabVIEW DAQ drivers work only with Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,890 Views)

Hello

If you wish to use a legacy device on Windows 7, you'll need to install the Traditional NI-DAQ 7.5 beta driver. However, this driver is in beta and hasn't been rigorously tested for Windows 7. Also, it cannot be installed on a system that also has NI-DAQmx installed. This driver won't be moved past beta, as it is intended only to serve as a temporary solution while users develop replacement code using NI-DAQmx hardware. Also, see the following similar post on using a Traditional DAQ device on Windows 7.

Best regards,

Ali M

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

Message 4 of 10
(5,852 Views)

**  I know this is an old post but this is worthwhile sharing ***

I was struggling with a similar problem.  Labview was not able to successfully run any Traditional DAQ vi's and showed the error that the lvdaq.dll was not available.   

One of our software guys made a passing suggestion which fortunately worked out well.  He suggested to uninstall the Traditional NI-DAQ (Legacy) from the default installation location and then reinstall to a new folder in the root directory.  This is because Windows 7 (and apparently Vista) started to lock down access to the Program Files folder for security reasons.

I tried this on the Windows 7 machine and confirmed that this works for my application.   

Windows 7

Labview 2009

MAX  4.7

Message 5 of 10
(5,158 Views)

Hi there,

I have the same problem now. I am wondering this solution also works for windows 7 64-bit? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,038 Views)

All of our systems are 32bit so I can't speak for this method in 64bit Windows.  I can't imagine why there would be a difference though.

Best,

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,026 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joseph_D._Rudmin

Unfortunately, the Traditional NI-DAQ (Legacy) for Windows Vista and 7 driver only functions on Windows 7 32-bit as can be seen on the driver page at the end of the first Solution paragraph. I'd recommend changing your program over to  DAQmx.

David S.
Message 8 of 10
(4,015 Views)

For Windows 7 64 bit users is there a list of which DAQmx VI's can replace specific  NI-DAQ (legacy) 7.5 VI's?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,698 Views)

I found these pages helpful in transitioning from Traditional NI-DAQ (legacy) to NI-DAQmx

Terminology changes in DAQmx (nice comparision chart from legacy to DAQmx

Transition from Traditional NI-DAQ (legacy) to NI-DAQmx

FAQ about NI-DAQmx and Traditional NI-DAQ (legacy)

if there any other helpful pages/posts please let me know.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,689 Views)