LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The most impressive fact of the new Labview 2024 ...

We can write the complete list of its new features on a single post-it note!!!

Great.

Message 1 of 31
(5,057 Views)

@Walker34 wrote:

I'm honestly more concerned with fixed bugs than new features.  With that said, LabVIEW 2024Q1 does have a couple of "beta" features that you can enable with an ini token.  The big one there is being able to save an entire project in a previous version.  Check out the LabVIEW 2024 beta forum for more details.

I also know that NI is working on some larger efforts that should start seeing fruit, last I saw, later this year.  I do not work for NI and exact timelines have not been promised.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 31
(4,999 Views)

I'm honestly more concerned with fixed bugs than new features. 

When I pay for an annual license, I personally expect improvements. Bug fixes are part of the warranty.

I also know that NI is working on some larger efforts that should start seeing fruit, last I saw, later this year.  I do not work for NI and exact timelines have not been promised.

Hope.

Message 3 of 31
(4,976 Views)

Taken on it's own, in it's release form (without hidden unreleased features), this version is disappointing to say the least. 

An updated roadmap would have gone some way to appease subscription holders that there are imminent features in the pipeline (ie. Q3). A bug fix list would have helped to at least provide evidence of improved quality for buck, even if there are likely new bugs.

I hear NI/Emerson talk the talk with regards to LabVIEW's future, but I'd like to see action to back that up.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 31
(4,903 Views)

I think NI should revisit the decision to target two major releases of LabVIEW in a year, and go back to a major release + service pack cycle. This release would have been a service pack under the old versioning (i.e. LV2023 SP1), which is essentially all it is.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Unless otherwise stated, all code snippets and examples provided
by me are "as is", and are free to use and modify without attribution.
Message 5 of 31
(4,836 Views)

@MichaelBalzer wrote:

I think NI should revisit the decision to target two major releases of LabVIEW in a year, and go back to a major release + service pack cycle. This release would have been a service pack under the old versioning (i.e. LV2023 SP1), which is essentially all it is.

It is the version compatibility that bothers me more.  With minor feature updates, I would like to have binary compatibility with the previous version.  Granted with the current version labeling, that would make this latest release 2023 Q5, which is confusing.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 6 of 31
(4,772 Views)

I don't know if it's in this version or when it changed, but building an .exe is quite a lot faster than in LV2019!

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 7 of 31
(3,774 Views)

@Walker34 wrote:

Scientists inscribe entire Bible onto pinhead (engadget.com)

But I get the point.

It's not all about quantity, quality matter too.  (Not sure if that helps 🤔)

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 31
(3,752 Views)

@Walker34 wrote:

Great.

This is unfortunately a case of "enshitification" (oh yes spellcheck, that is correct). It might not be full on yet, but give it a year or two and it will be there. Basic premise is that corporations cool new business trick, enabled by massive user base and 'everything as a service' is to lock their customers into one sided relationships in which customers are leveraged to pay more and more for worse and worse service because it is slightly more desirable to do that than to migrate to another platform/solution/product. And of course the longer you use something the less likely you are to move to something else and the corporations know that and use it against you. Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia on the phenomena: 

Once users are locked in, the platform then offers access to the userbase to suppliers at a loss, and once suppliers are locked-in, the platform shifts surpluses to shareholders.[5] Once the platform is fundamentally focused on the shareholders, and the users and vendors are locked in, the platform no longer has any incentive to maintain quality. Enshittified platforms which act as intermediaries can functionally act as both a monopoly on services and a monopsony on customers, as high switching costs prevent either from leaving even when alternatives technically exist.[4] 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enshittification

that would make this latest release 2023 Q5, which is confusing.

🤣

Please don't give them any ideas...

Message 10 of 31
(3,473 Views)