LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save data directly to Excel

Solved!
Go to solution

Excuse me, but I find hilarious to say that you never had an issue. I think these forums were created because hundreds of questions appear every day, from the people who use LabView. Moreover, if users have no issues, you could hardly have more than 30,000 messages in the forums.

Only for the friendly people, I rephrase my question. Notice I don't need code.
The question is, Why isn't so simple save data in format ".xls", as it is with ".txt" format?. Why it became necessary to create a special Toolkit for working with excel?
That's it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(880 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Samgut

The .txt format is an ASCII formt so it's open and doesn't change.  The .xls and .xlsx formats are Microsoft proprietary formats and are not open or stable.  That's why you need an extra layer to use them.

Kelly Bersch
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Kudos are always welcome
Message 12 of 15
(874 Views)

I don't know where this crazy idea came from. It's not the first time I've heard it. Simply putting a .xls extension on a text file does not make it an Excel file. 

Save the data in csv format. Double-clicking a .csv file will open the file directly into Excel. From there the file can be saved as a true Excel file with an xls extension.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
Message 13 of 15
(846 Views)

Hello ,

If you do something like this as shown in the image you willbe able to save data to csv file similar to excel.

Thank You hope it helps.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(838 Views)

Another option to be aware of -- as of LabVIEW 2013, the "Write to Measurement File" Express VI can write directly to .xlsx format without the need for Excel to be installed.

One thing to note is that, due to the complexities of the .xlsx file format, it is much slower than writing to a .csv file (TDMS or binary would be faster again).

Documentation here: http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361K-01/lvexpress/write_lv_measurement_file/

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(794 Views)