LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview crashes suddenly

Hello, We have a serious problem that LabVIEW crashes. The problem used to occur once every two weeks about 4 months ago and now occurs once or twice a day. It could be a serious safety issue if the crash occurred during engine firing.

Here is what I have tried so far:

1. NI application engineers said to stop the NI Web Server Application. This application has no value since the computers do not have internet access and it may be causing the crashes by interrupting the connection by polling a web page. I disabled this application but it did not fix the problem.

2. Remove the windows executable afsetup.exe that is known to cause LabVIEW crashing problems. I could not find this executable on the test site computer.

3. Check failure log for cause of crash. Nothing is listed in the failure log My Documents/LabVIEW Data/lvfailure log !!

4. Check to make sure "Prompt to investigate internal errors on startup" is turned on. This is turned on but still no error report logged after crash.

5. Event Viewer at one crash time showed "Error 3299. Labview information: Error: Can't open log file w:/Program Files (x86)/National Instruments/Labview 2010/resource/web server/logs/access.log." This is a genetic error that occurs often but only causes the crash once in a while. Hence the suggestion offered in step 1, but it did not fix the problem.

6. Turn off any antivirus or firewalls as they can cause this kind of problem at random intervals. There are no antivirus or firewall software on the test site computers.

7. Make sure the real-time hardware is headless (not dependent on the host). The RT is not headless and I cannot make this change without a total re-write of the projects/programs. The software architecture is not designed that way.

8. Check CPU and memory usage levels on target by going to Labview>>Tools>>Distributed System Manager. I found no memory leakage issues when monitoring this DSM.

9. Also occasionally receiving Error 7 occurring at write to text file in Main - Host.vi. File Not Found. This is again a connection issue between the target and host. Was not resolved until target is recycled.

10. Blue screen crash observed to occur sometimes when connecting remote panel. It interferes with communication causing crash. Again showing a communication weakness between target and host.

This is my next and last option:

11. Upgrade LabVIEW to version 2012. A number of crashing issues have been resolved by upgrading. This upgrade is scheduled for 12/3/12 - 12/7/12. I am confident upgrade to LabVIEW 2012 will help the dacs system, however, I cannot guarantee for certain that it will fix the crashing problem.

I would create appreciate any thoughts, suggestions, advice, and help with this serious problem with Labview crashing.

Regards, Bill

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,906 Views)

Are these LabVIEW crashes ever blue screen crashes?

5: Program Files (x86) on drive w seems different.  Is there anything peculiar there that is different?

10: Have you analyzed dumps from these crashes?

Albert

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,896 Views)

Thank you for your reply. The crashes cause the Labview development system with the open project and running VIs to close without any error report. There are two projects and they both experience the crashing. So nothing pecular to one project. I tried to create a dump file report put did not have admin rights to do this. I wil talk to IT and  try again.

Do you think upgrading the system from Labview 2010sp1 to labview 2012 will provide patches and solve problems that could cause this crashing issue?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,883 Views)

Hi,

I'm using 2011 so I don't know whether 2012 would help.  I've had some crashing problems with 2011 that I suspect is from bad USB serial port drivers but I'm not sure.

Albert

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,870 Views)

Are you sure you don't have a memory leak? Have you monitored the memory in task manager/distributed system manager?

Edit: doh just saw point #8

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,869 Views)