LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 6.0 run-time engine will not control BKPrecision power supply.

Solved!
Go to solution

I created a test program in Labview 6.0 to control a BKPrecision power supply and Measurement computing DAQ in our test system. I am able to control both intsruments from my PC which has Labview loaded on it. I created an executable from the application builder tool for distribution. When i install the run-time engine and executable on a new PC (Labview not installed), i am unable to control the BKPrecision power supply. The BK power supply is connected to the serial COM port of the PC.

Do i need to install drivers that are not included in the executable build?

Do i need to install VXIpnp (VISA interactive control)?

thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,720 Views)

Tim, it depends on whether you used VISA for you serial communication.  NI has versions of serial communication VIs which do not use VISA.  If that is the case, the you should have serpdrv in your build file.  If you used VISA, then you will need to install the drivers.  You should have gotten an error message (assuming you are paying attention to them).  You would also need to install the MCC driver package, most likely.

You may also want to confirm that you can control the BK through Hyperterminal on the system, that the COM ports match, etc.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,717 Views)
I have not used LV6 for a long time so i am not sure. But if i remember correct is a selection for including serial driver in the LV6 application builder. I have LV 7.0 on my computer. Here this selection is located on in Installer setting tab hiding under the Advanced.. button

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,702 Views)
My last post is also true if you use Visa. I think this was changed after LV7.1

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,689 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author tmann
If you are using LabVIEW to communicate with any device then the driver needs to be included. Take a look at the VI names that you used (VISA, Serial, etc.) and make sure that the exact same driver verison of that one is installed on the computer that will run the executable. Meaning if you have NI-VISA 4.3 on your computer and you used VISA commands then download that driver onto the executable computer. You can find all drivers at this site. Let us know if this fixes the problem. Thanks!!
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,665 Views)

I found the BK Precision labview drivers do a VISA read/write to com port 1 by default, i did not specify a VISA resource in my code.

I was able to gain control of the power supply by loading a VISA driver.

I loaded VISA run-time engine driver ver 4.4.

The executable was created using VISA ver 2.5.

Should i load ver 2.5 instead of 4.4 even though 4.4 works?

What is the difference between the API type drivers and the run-time type drivers, the download website lists both.

thanks everyone for your help,

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,643 Views)

tmann-

The API Drivers are often times for more specific Operating Systems than the others (Linux, Pharlap, etc.) and they are more easily accessible for programmers that want to (and have enough time to put up with the headaches :)) of building speciality drivers off of ours. 99% of the time you just want the drivers that come up first when you type in your driver name (NI-VISA). As to versions, issues can crop up later from not using the exact same driver version but all the drivers are built off of each other (they hardly ever scrap an entire driver and start over) so the problems should be minor. Its up to you about switching. Unfortunately to downgrade version you have to completely uninstall the driver from Add/Remove Programs>>National Instruments Software>>Your driver and then reinstall the correct one. If you have time, I think it is well worth it to do it right the first time. Hope this is helpful!!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,636 Views)

the visa run time engine ver 2.5 driver on the NI website does not list windows XP in the operating systems column.

i am using XP, should i choose a newer version that lists XP?

thanks,

tmann

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,624 Views)

tmann-

I would update the driver on the development computer that made the executable, recompile it, and then make an installer with this current driver or just install it on the computer that will be running it. It is always best to have complete compability between the development and host computers to insure that whatever is seen on the host computer was the same as during the development. Hope this explains a little better.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,613 Views)