cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView Can't save VI

I'm trying to save A vi in a project and keep getting the message

LABVIEW: An input parameter is invalid

save error code 0

there doesn't seem to be any reason why it can't be saved.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,669 Views)

Are you attempting this programatically?

If so please post an image of the code.

That message usually means we are not using a function properly.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,662 Views)

No I am not trying to do it programatically.

The VI is one of many in my project.

When I open it up and try to save it LabeView tells me it can't

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,645 Views)

Things to check:

• Are you trying to save to a network drive? If so, save to a local directory.
  • Are you trying to save to a path that has too many characters? Operating systems have limits on the lengths of paths.
  • Are you trying to save to folder with restricted permissions? E.g. on Windows Vista and 7 you are not allowed to save to certain directories without admin rights.
  • Can you save the VI if you open it by itself, without opening the project?
  • Can you do a Save As?
  • Open your most recent backup and see if you can save that. It's possible your VI has become corrupt.
  • What changes are you making that's prompting the save? Or, is it prompting you to save simply by opening the VI?
  • Are you calling subVIs? Can those be saved OK?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,637 Views)

I moved the project and all the VI's to the local drive and that seems to have taken care of the problem.

Thanks for your help. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,612 Views)

Hi there!

I am having the same issue when trying to save a VI.

I will respond the questions posted by smercurio_fc (answers in red):

• Are you trying to save to a network drive? If so, save to a local directory. [answer]: NO, I am saving to local disk.
  • Are you trying to save to a path that has too many characters? Operating systems have limits on the lengths of paths. [answer]: Other VIs with longer names in the same directory do not present this problem, so I consider the path name lenght is not the problem.
  • Are you trying to save to folder with restricted permissions? E.g. on Windows Vista and 7 you are not allowed to save to certain directories without admin rights.[answer]:Nope.
  • Can you save the VI if you open it by itself, without opening the project?[answer]:No.
  • Can you do a Save As?[answer]:No.
  • Open your most recent backup and see if you can save that. It's possible your VI has become corrupt.[answer]:same problem.
  • What changes are you making that's prompting the save? Or, is it prompting you to save simply by opening the VI?[answer]:I have onlu opened the VI.
  • Are you calling subVIs? Can those be saved OK?[answer]:Yes and they can be saved normally.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,360 Views)

Hi there!

• Are you trying to save to a network drive? If so, save to a local directory. [answer]: NO, I am saving to local disk.
  • Are you trying to save to a path that has too many characters? Operating systems have limits on the lengths of paths. [answer]: Other VIs with longer names in the same directory do not present this problem, so I consider the path name lenght is not the problem.
  • Are you trying to save to folder with restricted permissions? E.g. on Windows Vista and 7 you are not allowed to save to certain directories without admin rights.[answer]:Nope.
  • Can you save the VI if you open it by itself, without opening the project?[answer]:No.
  • Open your most recent backup and see if you can save that. It's possible your VI has become corrupt.[answer]:same problem.
  • What changes are you making that's prompting the save? Or, is it prompting you to save simply by opening the VI?[answer]:I have onlu opened the VI.
  • Are you calling subVIs? Can those be saved OK?[answer]:Yes and they can be saved normally.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,359 Views)

@Almeida wrote:

Hi there!

Since you posted in this thread, I assume that your error message is still:

"LABVIEW: An input parameter is invalid | save error code 0"

Is this correct?

At what point do you get that message exactly (right after trying the menu entry? after entering a file name?)

Are the "save" and "save as" menu entries greyed out?

What is your LabVIEW version?

Does the file name contain any unusual characters?

Can you attach your VI?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,353 Views)