LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW not seeing other computers on the network

Solved!
Go to solution

I have 2 computers on a network (cpu1 and cpu2) that I am using for data collection and then several computers that I am not using. When I made a shared variable in LabVIEW, I made it a "network published" one. After those variables are deployed on cpu1, I go to cpu2 modify the shared variable in another VI by allowing aliasing, and then browsing for the PSP address. For some reason I cannot see cpu1 at all, but I can see the rest of the network!

When I go back to cpu1 and try to browse for a PSP address, I can see cpu1, and the deployed variables, but I cannot see cpu2 on the network (although I can see all of the other computers)! I know they can see each other, I pinged one of the IP addresses from the other and it had 0ms delay. If you have any suggestions for what to try, I'm up for it! Thanks!

Greg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,767 Views)

how's your firewall configuration?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,747 Views)

Hmm... all I know is that it is enabled, I'm not sure exactly what the configuration is. Should I try disabling it?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,743 Views)

@Gregory wrote:

Should I try disabling it?

It probably would have taken the same amount of time to just try it instead of asking. 🙂

Yes, as a quick test disable the firewall and see if it makes a difference. This will at least narrow down the problem.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,741 Views)

Haha, I would have to suit up for the clean room first, so I will try it next time I go there!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,735 Views)

I was able to see the other computer after the firewall was down! I did some searching for what programs to add to the firewall exceptions when you want to use shared variables. Unfortunately, even though I could see the other computer, the shared variable was not visible. I tried restarting the NI variable engine from command line, but it said that the process was not accepting commands at the moment. I have not quite ironed out the networking...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,703 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gregory

After opening the correct ports and unblocking the correct programs, the windows firewall does not seem to be inhibiting my shared variables any more!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,641 Views)