LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2009 does not preserve Wire Description through Case Structure tunnel

In LabVIEW 2009 the Wire Description is nor preserved through Case Structure tunnel. I want to use Descriptions on Wires to remind me the data that they carry. The Wire Description should be carried by all connecting wires until a Function or another element transform the value to something else. A tunnel with only one input does not change the data in the wire.

Please Fix so that Wire Description are preserved as they co through Case Structure Tunnels.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,861 Views)

The wires on two sides of a tunnel are NOT the same wire. They might carry the same data, but they do not always represent the same thing.

There is some merit to the claim that the wires should often have the same description, but this is definitely not a bug, rather a feature request (and one which I frankly doubt will happen, as it doesn't apply in all cases).

(2,853 Views)

How can a tunnel with one input chamg the data in a wire?

If a wire contins the same data, then wire shouldn't it carry the same Description unless the Description is manually changed?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,846 Views)

The ONLY thing passed across the tunnel is the value (and, to a degree, the data type). Anything else is completely separate and there's absolutely no relation between the two wires.

If you want an example of a tunnel where one input can have multiple meanings, think of a variant or a class wire. It may carry different types of data which will then be converted inside each frame.

(2,831 Views)

I still want the description of the wire data to pass through the tunnel unchanged unless i change it on the other side of the tunnel.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,829 Views)

Again, the only thing passing through the tunnel is the value and that's transient and happens only at run-time. For something like this, you would have to define some specific behaviors.

For example, supposed you disconnected the external wire from the tunnel and then connected another one, would that mean the internal wire now gets the description of the new external one?

And how about if you change the description of the internal wire manually, should it be stomped when you connect a new wire to the tunnel?

And so on...

You can suggest this in the idea exchange, but I'm not going to vote for it. It's certainly not a bug, so you're not going to get anyone to "fix" it.

(2,805 Views)

Why don't you simply redefine the wire description after the case structure. 

TST is right.  A case structure can change what is on the wire at run time in many instances.  The description is given during development, and there is no way the compiler can determine what comes out of a case structure before it is run.  In other words, the wire going into a case structure is not always the same as the wire coming out of a case structure.  It may be in your case, but how does the compiler distinguish between your case and other cases where the wire is changed at run time?

- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,775 Views)