From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does embedded CAN on RIO evaluation board support SAE 1939 CAN protocol?

Hi,

I need to know if the drivers on the RIO evaluation board supports the SAE 1939 Protocol.

SAE J1939 defines five layers in the seven-layer OSI network model, and this includes the Controller Area Network (CAN) ISO 11898 specification (using only the 29-bit/"extended" identifier) for the physical and data-link layers.

I think that ISO 11898 specifies CAN/Open, Devicenet and SAE 1939

From the manual of the evaluation board:

NI sbRIO devices populated with one IDC header provide connections to a
CAN bus. CAN-enabled NI sbRIO devices have pins for CAN_H and
CAN_L, which can connect to the CAN bus signals. The CAN port uses an
NXP PCA82C251T high-speed CAN transceiver that is fully compatible
with the ISO 11898 standard and supports baud rates up to 1 Mbps.

Could anyone give me some advice on how I have to use the drivers, because I am not familiar with them.

I need to send and receive messages for a hydraulic valve. The manufactor is Sauer Danfoss, and the name of the CAN module is PVED-CC.  The valve uses SAE 1939 with a baud rate of 250 Kbps. (high speed CAN). I use Labview 2013 with NI sbRIO -9636 board (RIO Evaluation Kit).

Thanks,

Best regards,

Gautier

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,175 Views)

Continued from here: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/how-to-interface-CAN-with-Sbrio-9636/m-p/3097676#M886552

You shouldn't use run continuously, put a while loop or a timed loop structure around the CAN read/write nodes with some sort of execution/loop timing (10ms?). If you do run continuously you are repeatedly opening and closing the CAN hardware which is a waste of CPU resources.

As far as SAE 1939 goes...I've never used it but from what I read here it just defines the format of the CAN ID and message data so the actual CAN hardware you're using doesn't matter as long as it supports extended CAN IDs. There are lots of examples on that page which go into different implementations and there are even examples which you should be able to adapt to work with the sbRIO's CAN implementation.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,161 Views)