From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display images from a folder

Solved!
Go to solution

I am looking to display images from an image folder containing mostly jpg images. I want to be able to display the images on the front panel and cycle through them through a button. How would I do this? 

LabVIEW 2013

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not lost my mind, it's backed up on a disk somewhere
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,829 Views)

You can use file functions to list the image files and load them using image functions (graphics and sounds).

Point is, that LV is not prepared to work with thumb nails, like e.g. the windows file explorer nowadays. So you will load all images completly before displaying the images. This can easily create out of memory issues....

OK, manually implementing functions building previews is possible (essentially reducing image size, unloading the origrinal image after that keeping the thumb nail), but depending on the result you want to have in the end it will be simple overhead....

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,820 Views)

Hey Norbert_B thanks for the reply. Would it be possible to see an example I am a total newbie to labVIEW? I am looking to build a basic program that just reads the image folder and cycles through the images by means of a button.

This is what I have so far it will read the image folder and display the matching format image but I don't know how to cycle through them with a button?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,814 Views)

You should work with Recursive File List to get the paths to the JPG-files.

Using an Event Structure or a State Machine architecture enables you to swap image only when the user presses a button. Refer to the template browser (File >> New) for a basic concept.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 4 of 10
(5,800 Views)

Thats "File>>New..." right below "File>>New"  the frameworks Norbert suggested you should look at are Here:

Capture.PNG

(Some of those choices will not be available to you I add some custom stuff there)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 5 of 10
(5,772 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author PauldePaor

This is the solution if anyone needs it Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 10
(5,751 Views)

@PauldePaor wrote:

This is the solution if anyone needs it Smiley Wink

I answered this topic in the cross post on LAVA.  The only chagnes appear to be making the BD full screen, repositioning controls, adding a second 2D picture control (that is always blank and unlabeled), and resaving to 2013.

Message 7 of 10
(5,728 Views)

Yes Hooovahh answered this on a cross post on LAVA. Full credit goes to him for this solution. I uploaded my tweaked version for my needs instead of the original VI that was provided. Apologies for this. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,719 Views)

@PauldePaor wrote:

Yes Hooovahh answered this on a cross post on LAVA. Full credit goes to him for this solution. I uploaded my tweaked version for my needs instead of the original VI that was provided. Apologies for this. Smiley Happy

No problem I didn't think you were trying to take credit, just wanted to give a more full picture by linking back to where the original solution was posted.

Message 9 of 10
(5,711 Views)

I am doing my DST project work in Labview. Thanks for the .vi. Its made my work simpler.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,305 Views)