LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deprecation of Internet ToolKit .... so no more Telnet support

Hi All

I know I am very late with this question but I have been extremely busy working at a new start up company this last year and working in LabVIEW 2011.

Yesterday while looking at LabVIEW 2012 I noticed this announcement from NI Internet Toolkit Depriciated with more than a little shock :mansurprised:

In particular the fact that there is no recommended replacement for Telnet. I spend a large amount of my LabVIEW life using Telnet in production test environment and thought I have been hoping for a few years that the toolkit package would be re-written and some of the bugs in it be fixed, I was not expecting this.

I understand going forward I could take the existing toolkit and just save it into new version or I could change to using Putty calls from the system exec, but I would really like to know from somebody at NI why they have abandon support for Telnet as LabVIEW moves forward.

A very unhappy and disgruntled Robot Frustrated

Danny

Danny Thomson AshVire Ltd
Message 1 of 14
(11,761 Views)

Should still be available. See here. But NI recommends not to use them anymore. Strange since there's no replacement for many functions...

Message 2 of 14
(11,752 Views)

Yes I accept that the toolkit still exists for LabVIEW 2012, but I expect sometime this year we will get 2013 then 2014 etc;  but to me at any rate the Deprecation notice implies that NI have no intention of a telnet substitue or replacement.

I may be wrong and would be happy if NI correct me on that matter.

Danny

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(11,732 Views)

I hope that they are working on something like this.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Native-SSH-and-SFTP-Support/idi-p/1141529

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(11,729 Views)

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay in reply, I wanted to make sure I researched your questions before I came back to you with a proper answer.

As you already know, Telnet is no longer officially supported due to it being an outdated technology that is also quite insecure, and as such is being phased out and bundled into the free internet toolkit. As of yet there is no official word on whether R&D will continue to update the Toolkit with further versions moving forwards, but you should be able to up-convert the code to future versions of LabVIEW yourself as it is written in GCode.

I have tried using this toolkit with the LabVIEW 2013 Beta ( http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Announcing-The-LabVIEW-2013-Platform-Beta-Program/td-p/2294592 ) and it works on my system, so whenever the next update comes for LabVIEW you should still be ok to use the free toolkit that you've located.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Mark W
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK & Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(11,634 Views)

Hi Mark, thanks for you reply.

I think to say Telnet is an outdated technology is staggeringly off the mark for a protocol that is still used widely on a daily basis. Thought I will fully accept you comment about it being insecure and that people are migrating from Telnet to ssh.

I suppose I would feel happier accepting this statement from NI if they were actually saying that asTelnet is insecure and outdated they are going to replace the telnet toolkit with a ssh toolkit and we should all be migrating over to the new toolkit.

Cheers

Danny

Message 6 of 14
(11,624 Views)

Deprecation of the toolkit is dissappointing for me as well. Our team makes considerable use of telnet in our LV code.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(11,089 Views)

In the last few months I have stopped using the Internet Toolkit for all my telnet work and moved over to a replacement set of homemade VI's based on using the build in LabVIEW VI.

I can do telent login's simply by VISA open the VIAS READ, VISA WRITE, it really works well, small simpler VI's and unlike the telnet using the Internet Toolkit it is easy to use in parallel so I can telent in several things at once.

I cannot think why I took so look to go this way and why there is not more talk about other doing thier telnet this way.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(11,054 Views)

Danny,

Can you be a little more descriptive? You created substitues for the telnet functions using standard visa calls? I'm not following how you initiate the connection, what do you use for a "resource name" on a VISA Write for instance? With the telnet "open connection" you provide a telnet port number, but I'm drawing a blank on how you might do this with the VISA Write.  We are using telnet a lot here, talking to COGNEX cameras, talking to unit under test, etc., and "security" is not relevant to us as these are here, not on the 'net. As to archaic technology, we also do a lot of serial comms!

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 9 of 14
(10,884 Views)

Putnam,  For the most part a VISA Raw socket will do for most telnet applications.

The cognex devices also offer a .NET library for device communications although I've never used it myself.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(10,873 Views)