LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darren's Weekly Nugget 11/15/2010

I'm not a big fan of Auto Grow on structures:

auto_grow_option.png

I have deselected Tools > Options > Block Diagram > Place structures with Auto Grow enabled so none of my VIs have the option selected.  But sometimes I inherit code, and I am perturbed when stuff starts moving around on the diagram because the original author liked auto grow.  So I wrote this utility VI that will turn off Auto Grow on all structures in all VIs in a given folder:

turn_off_auto_grow.png

Make sure to backup your VIs before running this utility.

Message 1 of 10
(8,876 Views)

If you don't have auto grow turned on, how do you make sure you don't wind up accidentally hiding things beyond the edges of the structures?

Message 2 of 10
(8,838 Views)

Kudos for the great example that could act as a springboard for any type of VI batch processing! I must make two minor mods to the VI to make it more palatable to my own (and Ravens'?) taste:

RockOnAutoGrow.png

Message 3 of 10
(8,824 Views)

An excellent springboard, indeed.  Here's a tweak that turns off "View as Icon" for all BD terminals.

no icon terminals.png

-Barrett
CLD
Message 4 of 10
(8,797 Views)

I ❤️ scripting.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(8,780 Views)

@Ravens Fan wrote:

If you don't have auto grow turned on, how do you make sure you don't wind up accidentally hiding things beyond the edges of the structures?

I run the "Hidden Objects in Structures" test from the VI Analyzer Toolkit on my code as part of my nightly build.  Doesn't everybody?  😉

Message 6 of 10
(8,759 Views)

Ohooooo.......Scripting all the  way.

Darren Thanks for the Nugget

Ohiofudu

CLD.

Certified LabVIEW Architect.
Ohiofudu Israel

Message 7 of 10
(8,750 Views)

Same concept: are all enums type def'ed?

Felix

Message 8 of 10
(8,720 Views)

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who dislikes autogrow.

Nice nugget.  I'll have to borrow this code and put it in my bags of tricks.

Message 9 of 10
(8,661 Views)

@Ravens Fan wrote:

Turn on Show Warnings by default.

SULLutions.com
...when a single discipline is not enough
Message 10 of 10
(5,776 Views)