LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cyton gamma 1500 motors x,y,z coordinates/dynamixel motors

My question is quite complicated. I am using a cyton gamma 1500 robotic arm and I am trying to map out magnetic field lines with it using a magnetic probe held at the end effector. This robot is made up of 8 dynamixel motors. The RX-28 and RX-64 are used. I downloaded the dynamixel sdk from the national instruments website and this allows me to control the joints one by one. However, I would like to input an x,y,z coordinate and be able for the robot to move all the joints at once given an x,y,z coordinate. Is there any way of doing this with strictly labview functions?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,958 Views)

Well, one potential problem is that the motors have serial interfaces but a quick look at the manual shows a SYNC WRITE command that allows you to talk to several motors in one command. That might do it for you. Are you using their little USB serial dongle?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,953 Views)

Yes, I am using that USB device.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,924 Views)

Also, which manual are you referring to? How do I use the SYNC WRITE command?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,923 Views)

I am aware of the Sync write function. I can use this command in c++ and in labview. This only allows me to move the joints to a certain goal position. I am trying to input one x coordinate, one y coordinate, and one z coordinate and the robot moves to that specific location. There are 8 motors on the robot and I believe there has to be some algorithm that determines where all the current motor positions are and allows me to input one x,y,z coordinate and it reaches that location.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,916 Views)

The manuals for the motors...

Yes there is a technique for determining the position of all the motors. It's called geometry.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,912 Views)

Perhaps your time would be better suited helping someone else mike porter because you are no help to me. I am simply trying to see if anyone has come across a problem working with multi motored robots before and could possibly help me. I tried explaining my problem as best I could and I have no time to deal with your sarcastic comment.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,902 Views)

No sarcasm involved. The manual is the one for the motors. The geometry is pretty much high-school-level stuff -- that's just the way it is.

Mike...

PS: if you think what I posted before showed an unacceptable level of sarcasm, just wait until you get out of school and into the workforce... 

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,895 Views)