LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corner Point Detection

Hi all,

I have a bunch of points in 3D space that shape a closed volume of unknown shape. The simplest case would be a cube but generally we don't know what shape it is. Assume the coordinates of the points are stored in a 3xn size matrix, n being the number of points available. My problem is that I want to detect the corner points of this set programmatically. Obviously the number of the corner points will be different for different 3D shapes.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,290 Views)

They are all corner points unless a point lies on a plane inside a triangle defined by three other points.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,277 Views)

Actually, we do not have enough information to answer your question.  In particular, what does your point set represent?  Do the points lie at the vertices (then they are all vertices, as Viper pointed out).  Do they lie on the plane intersections?  Do they lie at the intersection of the lines which are the plane intersections (not all vertices with concave polyhedra).  Do they lie inside the planes?  Is your point set always sufficient to determine a unique polygon? All are valid and all have different solutions.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,247 Views)