LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control IRobot Create by Bluetooth in Labview

A project that I am working on consists of using the IRobot create to do 4 simple commands (drive forward, reverse, turn left and right). I created a Labview program that runs this specifically through the serial cable. Now I want to use the same program but by Bluetooth function. I have usb Bluetooth adapters but I am not sure if it work work with the iCreate and also if there was a way to control a USB port in Labview (right now I use COM-1)? Also this project was designed to be inexpensive. Let me know what pieces of equipment I should get to be able to do this project. Thank you.
Message 1 of 9
(3,785 Views)

I would check out the below articles to see how to develop bluetooth applications in LabVIEW. Additonally, you will have to confirm with Microsoft to see if your USB bluetooth adapater is supported with their bluetooth driver. This is because LabVIEW uses Microsoft's bluetooth driver.

Developing Bluetooth Applications with LabVIEW

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3260/en/

How Do I Make a Bluetooth Device Work with LabVIEW?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/8295C04C0A038E8686257500005CCA99?OpenDocument

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,742 Views)

NO a standard USB bluetooth adaptor will not work, well it might but you will have to jump through a lot of software hoops to do it.

I would use simple bluetooth serial adaptors like the HC-05 (master/slave) and HC-06 (slave only) along with a USB to logic level serial converter on the computer side. Use one HC-05 and one HC-06 or two HC-05's with one set to master and one set to slave mode.

Using these you will not have to change your software at all as once you get the bluetooth adaptors to auto pair with each other they are transparent to LabVIEW and "bluetooth" becomes a non-issue. 

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,733 Views)

Did you look at the resources in this?

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-12910

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,709 Views)
I have a USB Bluetooth adapter that I want Labview to send information to through my program. Is there anyway I can change the Visa settings (listed as Com1 or Com 2) to pair with the USB Bluetooth adapter? Any help appreciated. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,674 Views)
If it's a Bluetooth to serial adapter, you can just plug it into your existing com port. If it creates a new com port when plugged in, you can name it whatever you want. If it's not a serial converter type of Bluetooth device, you bought the wrong type and would need to use the LabVIEW Bluetooth functions.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,669 Views)

@CSJeff98 wrote:
I have a USB Bluetooth adapter that I want Labview to send information to through my program. Is there anyway I can change the Visa settings (listed as Com1 or Com 2) to pair with the USB Bluetooth adapter? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Asd I said above, if your BT adaptor is a "standard" type. That is a BT adaptor that a mouse or keyboard can connect to then you will have to change your program to use it. 

HC-05 and HC-06 serial BT adaptors are like $5 on Amazon and they are transparent to LabVIEW becuase they are BT SERIAL adaptors.

You have to set them up using a terminal program like Terra-Term to auto pair with each other. Then use VISA for communications just like any other Com port in LabVIEW.

========================
========================
Message 7 of 9
(3,658 Views)

If you are determined to do this the hard way. I suggest you start here https://developer.bluetooth.org/TechnologyOverview/Pages/SPP.aspx and learn abou the BT Serial Port Profile as that is the mode you will need to set your BT adaptor to operate in if you want to use it like a Com port with VISA.  

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,638 Views)

Hi. Thanks again for the help!

So if i ended up getting the HC-05 and HC-06, which one would go onto the irobot create and which one to the PC.

For the robot side, will i ultimately be creating something like this: Roomba Hacking

For the computer side, would I use one of the modules and connect it to the serial port by a device like RS232 Serial Port to TTL Converter?

Also, do I need to use a micro-controller?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,561 Views)