LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use NI USB-6009 with a Labview Real Time system?

Hi,

I'm trying to use a NI USB-6009 DAQ with a Labview Real Time controller but it doesn't seem to be capable of opening any test panel in MAX or find it with a Express I/O. Does enybody know if this device can be used with this type of controller/OS? I need a USB powered device or a similar one Ethernet based. Any suggestions?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,032 Views)

Your device cannot be used in Real Time as given in the Product Page.Please go through that for more information.

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,025 Views)

Many thanks for the reply. Do you have any low cost alternative in either USB or Ethernet?

Cheers,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,984 Views)

You mean you want it to be connected to RT?

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,976 Views)

Hi apisis,

which kind of "LabVIEW Realtime Controller" do you use?

Devices like all those cRIOs expect cRIO modules to be plugged in. There are modules available for different kind of measurements, this one looks similar to a USB6009 in it's capabilities…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,974 Views)

My initial idea was to use something compact,  cheap and reliable to control and read some gas regulators and gauges through Ethernet, using Labview. I purchased the USB-6009 in order to connect it to an Ethernet USB server/converter but it doesn't work (it founds the device but I can't access properly from Labview/MAX). Then, I decided to use (while I found another solution) a PXI controller, but the only ones we have available are Real Time, as the Windows ones are all in use. One of the ideas is to use an Arduino based device that interfaces with Labview through Ethernet, so it would be cheap and wouldn't involeve too much development time. Do you know if NI has anything simmilar that doesn't go too far above a £200 budget?

Many thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,970 Views)

Hi apisis,

this £200 budget is rather small…

Why don't you call your local NI representative? They will discuss all hardware related questions with you!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,966 Views)

@apisis wrote:

My initial idea was to use something compact,  cheap and reliable

Normally I would say "pick two" but in this case having a cheap reliable system will also likely be compact.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,951 Views)

We are using this in one of our applications on a PXI chassis.

https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/model.usb-9162.html

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,933 Views)

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your repply. We use something similar for some thermocouples but with the Ethernet version. It would be a good solution if I can find a module that has analogue inputs and outputs and some digital lines (single ended). I found the other day one with all of that but with LVDS lines (which I could use anyway, with an interfacing IC). A colleage of mine is working on an Arduino based Ethernet device in order to interface it with Labview, so we can use it to control/monitor some of our equipment without the need of using an expensive PXI or even a cheaper cRIO. Space limitation is as well a factor to take into account, as we don't have so much space available in our cabinets and the ideal device should be small enought to be incorporated inside our units (in other words, we want our "independent" units to be controlled by ethernet). We've got about 50 PXI systems for data acquisition and motion control, but for this particular application we don't have any of those systems near by in order to use one of the spare slots for this purpose. For the initial tests we'll probably use the USB-6009 and a spare Windows based PXI we are expecting to receive soon, but for the final version we need something cheaper and more compact. I'll keep you posted whenever we find a solution.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I believe I've got my question answered.

Cheers,

Alex

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,884 Views)