LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I install 8.6 on top of 11?

Hi,

I need to support a customer - is it safe to install LabVIEW 8.6 on top of LabVIEW 11?

Thanks

Al

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,614 Views)

You can install both. none will be "on top" of the other (whatever that means). They will be at approximately the same height.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,608 Views)

Looks like each version of LabVIEW installs to a different folder in C:\Program Files\National Instruments so you should be OK.  To be on the safe side you could uninstall LabVIEW 2011, Install LabVIEW 8.6 then install LabVIEW 2011.  That would work if a little long winded!

Ken

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,603 Views)

"They will be at approximately the same height."Smiley Very Happy

Thanks - what I didn't want to do was have the 8.6 installer overwrite newer files and then get subtle errors at a later date. In the past I would do what Ken said but I haven't got a spare couple of days...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,588 Views)

Have you got access to another PC on which you could install 8.6 to support this customer?

Ken

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,583 Views)

@Al1234 wrote:

"They will be at approximately the same height."Smiley Very Happy

Thanks - what I didn't want to do was have the 8.6 installer overwrite newer files and then get subtle errors at a later date. In the past I would do what Ken said but I haven't got a spare couple of days...

Since 8.6 was not on your machine when you installed the DAQ drivers, the DAQ functions will be missing from the 8.6 palelttes.Just run the driver isntall and selct support for LV 8.6.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,582 Views)

With multiple versions of LabVIEW installed, I have experienced problems when I build installers for executables.

LabVIEW can and does get confused about where to get "additional installers". So when you build an installer for 2011, you might get a message to insert a disk for 8.6. These are the kinds of problems you don't need if you are in a hurry.

I recommend installing the 8.6 version on a Virtual Machine like VMware (free trial).

steve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the forum when you get help. Click the "Solution?" icon on the reply that answers your
question. Give "Kudos" to replies that help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,550 Views)

Just don't install the app builder (for some reason some LabVIEW installers fail to check if there is a newer version allready installed and the App builder can get overwritten)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,542 Views)

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I think I was right to be cautious so I've blown the cobwebs off an old steam-powered laptop and used that with just 8.6 installed!

Al

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,536 Views)