LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acessing third party tool using LabVIEW

Our client having Scada based exe application (Non LabVIEW exe.).This application gives popup for saving pdf report file,So they need to write name of report every time.Now, they want to do automation in this. Whenever this application gives pop up for report name  it should be automatically name by external labview application.They don't have source code of this application.

How it is possible using ActiveX?How to create ActiveX object for this Scada based exe? or any other ways to do this things are most welcomes .

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,059 Views)

Using .NET may be an option assuming you can acquire a window handle for the application.  However I don't know how you would detect when the popup window is open.  This seems like more trouble than it's worth.

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,049 Views)

This does not sound like a "LabVIEW" question, but rather "How can I use LabVIEW to Solve my Problem?".  In this case (as I understand it), the problem is detecting when another routine asks for input, and providing that input programmatically.  [You say "automatically named by external LabVIEW application", but it is unclear why it needs to be LabVIEW].

There are a number of routines for Windows systems to "automate" common tasks, like detecting pop-up windows, "filling in the blanks", etc.  A student of mine, a number of years ago, used something called "AutoIT" to do this.  I don't have direct experience with this routine, but he was able to use this to tie several routines from disparate vendors (one was actually some LabVIEW code he was developing) to do something like you are describing.

Bob Schor

Message 3 of 7
(3,005 Views)

I am asking for LabVIEW because I have good hands on LabVIEW.Can you suggest good open source  automated tool  for creating this task

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,984 Views)

While AutoIt is not open source, it is freeware. I'm not sure why you would require open source, but you can use it without any costs.

It definitely is a more direct way to attempt to do what you want to do. It can still fail but if AutoIt can't do it, trying to do it in LabVIEW is completely wasted time, and if AutoIt can do it it will be almost certainly much easier than trying to do it in LabVIEW, even if you have to learn AutoIt first.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 6 of 7
(2,953 Views)

I don't think I'd try to do this in LabVIEW, it could probably be done but would be a huge pile of work.

I'd do it with AutoHotkey. I'm pretty sure it would do it with very little coding. It's a scripting language and can detect a very lage number of events on a taget machine. Check it out.

—Ben
Prevent your computer from sleeping programmatically!
Use Power Requests
Download from GitHub

Message 7 of 7
(2,936 Views)